Which Guinea breed is best?

ChristyDawn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Moravian Falls, NC
I have been wanting to get some Guineas for a while and am considering putting some in with my Ideal order. I just wanted to get an idea if one Guinea breed is better than the other. Any info or suggestions are appreciated!

My favorite is the regular pearl. They seem hardier and since they're so dark they don't get picked off as easily if they get left out. The other thing is their cute spots. Their feathers are great. The lavenders are spotted (pearled) too. Some of the other colors are beautiful but some don't have the spots and they are a big plus for me.

Thanks for replying! I have heard that Pearls were hardier, but wasn't sure if it was accurate info. It's good to hear it from someone else. I like spots as well in my birds, so I will remember that. Thanks for the info!

So your question is actually about variety and not breed. Breed would be the helmeted versus say the French.

I raised exclusively lavender and have not noticed that they are any less hardy than the pearls. My original boys still rule the flock five years later.

I have pearls,pieds,lavenders,whites and royal purple they are free rangers and do really well even in the woods i keep cleared, they range along ways but never where i can not hear them.

Fantastic! I think I will start with a variety and see if any grow on me. I am sure they are all going to be a lot of fun (and very loud).
smile.png
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Actually there might be a hardiness issue in the whites. I have whites popping up in my lavender hatches, they are the only keets that do not appear as hardy as their sibs.

Back
Top Bottom