Which Guinea breed is best?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ChristyDawn, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ChristyDawn

ChristyDawn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Moravian Falls, NC
    I have been wanting to get some Guineas for a while and am considering putting some in with my Ideal order. I just wanted to get an idea if one Guinea breed is better than the other. Any info or suggestions are appreciated!

2. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    My favorite is the regular pearl. They seem hardier and since they're so dark they don't get picked off as easily if they get left out. The other thing is their cute spots. Their feathers are great. The lavenders are spotted (pearled) too. Some of the other colors are beautiful but some don't have the spots and they are a big plus for me.

3. ChristyDawn

Aug 5, 2009
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Thanks for replying! I have heard that Pearls were hardier, but wasn't sure if it was accurate info. It's good to hear it from someone else. I like spots as well in my birds, so I will remember that. Thanks for the info!

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    So your question is actually about variety and not breed. Breed would be the helmeted versus say the French.

I raised exclusively lavender and have not noticed that they are any less hardy than the pearls. My original boys still rule the flock five years later.

5. ChristyDawn

Aug 5, 2009
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Yes, my question is more about variety. Sorry about that. Thanks for the info.

6. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Get a variety pack. The more the merrier! I have Pearl, Lavender, Pied and White. All are great!

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have pearls,pieds,lavenders,whites and royal purple they are free rangers and do really well even in the woods i keep cleared, they range along ways but never where i can not hear them.

8. ChristyDawn

Aug 5, 2009
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Fantastic! I think I will start with a variety and see if any grow on me. I am sure they are all going to be a lot of fun (and very loud). [​IMG] Thanks everyone!

9. Farmboy13

Farmboy13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    I dont think theres a major difference its just what color you like better

10. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:Actually there might be a hardiness issue in the whites. I have whites popping up in my lavender hatches, they are the only keets that do not appear as hardy as their sibs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by