Which Hatchery for Easter Eggers?

I live four hours from them. I'm thinking of just ordering and going to pick them up, even though that's a day off work. Gas costs will be about the same as shipping, but no mail anxiety this way. I could offer to pick up orders from local folks maybe and off set the cost entirely. Ideally.
That would be nice.

Every time I ordered they asked if I want packing peanuts they are always barred rocks though

The ones that came with my order for my in-town flock were Production Reds. They made very tasty Arroz con Pollo.

I could offer to pick up orders from local folks maybe and off set the cost entirely.

My intent this year is to order more chicks than I need and sell chicks, started pullets, and POL pullets to offset costs.

My intent this year is to order more chicks than I need and sell chicks, started pullets, and POL pullets to offset costs.
I think this is totally doable especially with shipping costs going up. I would probably do this but I was going to hatch chicks anyways to sell. Only reason I’m buying chicks is to get some production breeds to bump my egg numbers in general. I have a lot of room to add more birds so I thought I’d let my consistently broody hen hatch some purebred marans (from my own flock) and some F1 and F2 olive eggers. I’ve seen pretty copper Maran and welsummer crosses so I may hatch those too just for fun. I’d let momma hen ween herself from them and sell them as started pullets and keep them if no one wants them.

I think this is totally doable especially with shipping costs going up. I would probably do this but I was going to hatch chicks anyways to sell. Only reason I’m buying chicks is to get some production breeds to bump my egg numbers in general. I have a lot of room to add more birds so I thought I’d let my consistently broody hen hatch some purebred marans (from my own flock) and some F1 and F2 olive eggers. I’ve seen pretty copper Maran and welsummer crosses so I may hatch those too just for fun. I’d let momma hen ween herself from them and sell them as started pullets and keep them if no one wants them.
You sound like me. My hens are reaching the end of the peak of their production and I plan on doubling the chicks for hatching and I also have customers who buy eggs from me!

You sound like me. My hens are reaching the end of the peak of their production and I plan on doubling the chicks for hatching and I also have customers who buy eggs from me!
It's tough with an old flock. I have an eclectic mixed flock of all ages, breeds, and gender. 18 in total and have hardly gotten more than two eggs a day for the last three or four months. The girls are slacking lol. I'm definitely wanting to at least double the flock. With that said, one of my oldest girls has the most special place in my heart. She will be six next year. It's hard when they get old! I think she laid her last egg this year, but maybe she will surprise me.

It's tough with an old flock. I have an eclectic mixed flock of all ages, breeds, and gender. 18 in total and have hardly gotten more than two eggs a day for the last three or four months. The girls are slacking lol. I'm definitely wanting to at least double the flock. With that said, one of my oldest girls has the most special place in my heart. She will be six next year. It's hard when they get old! I think she laid her last egg this year, but maybe she will surprise me.
It's so hard to figure out what to do with older girls. You love them but you can't get an egg out of them! lol

I'm wanting to order some Easter Eggers for next year. I've ordered from MyPetChicken before and I absolutely loved her. I thought that I might try another hatchery and wanted some feedback on which one. I want some pretty EE. If they have Bantam EE it would be awesome too. If you could, please also include pictures of the ones you have. Thank you all so much!
Whiting True Blues are pretty cool, I got one this last spring from McMurray, just started laying pretty big blue eggs

Back
Top Bottom