Which Incubator to buy?

I am currently using a homemade incubator. The reason I don't like my homemade is only because I can't fit an egg turner in it (but the incubator cost pennies on the dollar for store bought, so turning by hand is nothing). While the eggs capacity is lacking on the incuview, which isn't a big deal to me because I don't hatch more than a dozen eggs at a time. I just really really really like the view factor over the hovabator (JMHO).

And I wish you a very warm and heartfelt welcome TattooedMama. This forum is the greatest one bar none.
Thanks, I really enjoy the forums so far!! We were looking into what it would take to make one but we aren't that confident with our skills just yet! I think that is a project best saved for a later date. I want a guaranteed hatch rate lol. I do like that the Incuview is not styrofoam and the window is awesome. I used a styrofoam incubator about 11 years ago in high school for silkie eggs and from what I remember it worked just fine; I even think it was still air. BUT those were fresh eggs from my own birds and it wasn't a big deal if some didn't hatch. Now I'm looking at shipping eggs that cost around $6 apiece plus $15-20 S&H depending on the breeder. With a cautious expected hatch rate of only half of what I order (though I have heard some people do better) I just feel its a better investment to get a nice Incubator right off the bat rather than waste my money on a cheapo one and need to replace it soon after. It's just so hard to choose!

I have a styrofoam model with a fan and turner it is a farm innovators which I believe is identical to the little giant fan model but it has a plastic case over the foam on the outside. I am very satisfied with its performance and wouldn't hesitate to try shipped eggs in it. I believe there is no such thing as guaranteed hatch rates ESPECIALLY with shipped eggs. The best incubator in the world still can not hatch a damaged or overly rough handled egg.
One thing I have noticed is it is easier to maintain proper levels in my incubator with a full load of eggs, that maybe something to consider if you plan on doing small hatches get a smaller incubato r, at least that is my opinion. I like my foam bator but I am going to build a cabinet so I can do more eggs at one time

I have a styrofoam model with a fan and turner it is a farm innovators which I believe is identical to the little giant fan model but it has a plastic case over the foam on the outside. I am very satisfied with its performance and wouldn't hesitate to try shipped eggs in it. I believe there is no such thing as guaranteed hatch rates ESPECIALLY with shipped eggs. The best incubator in the world still can not hatch a damaged or overly rough handled egg.
One thing I have noticed is it is easier to maintain proper levels in my incubator with a full load of eggs, that maybe something to consider if you plan on doing small hatches get a smaller incubato r, at least that is my opinion. I like my foam bator but I am going to build a cabinet so I can do more eggs at one time

Thanks for your input!! I agree that shipped eggs are a challenge to hatch, that is why I am concerned with getting a good quality incubator to start. I had also read somewhere that humidity and heat hold better in a full incubator; I had forgot this when considering what size I wanted so thanks for reminding me!! It definitely erases my concerns of a smaller incubator. The breeders I am hoping to buy hatching eggs from have excellent reviews as far as eggs arriving intact an also the hatch rate. I understand it's always a risk but it's much cheaper for me to attempt to but and hatch eggs myself than pay the large price tag for LF chocolate Orpingtons. You are the first person to say they don't mind their foam incubator so I won't rule that out either as it's definitely a cheaper option. Is yours hard to clean?

I think it's great to have a incubator for lockdown when turning isn't needed. Or if there is a problem and you need a backup.

The bottom gets nasty at hatch time but it scrubs out well with a scrub brush. From now on I am going to line the bottom with foil or saran wrap to avoid having to clean, just have to remember to pop the little holes in the liner to match the 4 small holes in the bottom of the incubator.

I think any of the fan styrobators likely will work fine and they are affordable, I paid 92 dollars on sale reg price is just over 100, this came with the turner at that price. I think most of the poor hatches and bad experiences come from still air models, if these incubators were as bad as some make out I doubt these companies would still be in business.

When reading reviews on online forums I always factor in the unknown and general human nature, just because a person has had repeatedly had poor hatches doesn't necessarily mean it is the fault of the incubator, it could be due to any number of things including human error and not knowing what the heck they're doing, or bad eggs. I think using the recommended high humidities during incubation kills a lot of chicks, I also think many of the temperature swing issues you hear about come from having the incubator in a room where the temp swings greatly or where sun from a window can beat on it for awhile. Also those with poor results cry foul louder than folks with decent or good results sing praises, that is why I always tell of my good experiences with mine, just to get the other prospective out there. I also figure a certain small percentage of bad reviews come from folks who I would consider 'incubator snobs' which is what I call anyone who gives a review based on 'this model costs more and I have it so its got to be better'
I started a thread reviewing my incubator and others posted to it as well with good results. Here is that thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/852897/name-change-my-first-experience-with-farm-innovators-bator

Last edited:
Why is the Incuview better than the Hova-bator 1588?
It isn't better than the 1588 or vis-versa. It all depends on your situation. If you like the idea of plastic over styrofoam then the IncuView is better. If you want a higher capacity then the 1588 is better. There are many other factors but these are just a few. BUT if we're looking at just face value one feature the IncuView has that the 1588 doesn't is a proportional thermostat. This makes for a very precise temperature range inside your incubator.

The bottom gets nasty at hatch time but it scrubs out well with a scrub brush. From now on I am going to line the bottom with foil or saran wrap to avoid having to clean, just have to remember to pop the little holes in the liner to match the 4 small holes in the bottom of the incubator.

I think any of the fan styrobators likely will work fine and they are affordable, I paid 92 dollars on sale reg price is just over 100, this came with the turner at that price. I think most of the poor hatches and bad experiences come from still air models, if these incubators were as bad as some make out I doubt these companies would still be in business.

When reading reviews on online forums I always factor in the unknown and general human nature, just because a person has had repeatedly had poor hatches doesn't necessarily mean it is the fault of the incubator, it could be due to any number of things including human error and not knowing what the heck they're doing, or bad eggs. I think using the recommended high humidities during incubation kills a lot of chicks, I also think many of the temperature swing issues you hear about come from having the incubator in a room where the temp swings greatly or where sun from a window can beat on it for awhile. Also those with poor results cry foul louder than folks with decent or good results sing praises, that is why I always tell of my good experiences with mine, just to get the other prospective out there. I also figure a certain small percentage of bad reviews come from folks who I would consider 'incubator snobs' which is what I call anyone who gives a review based on 'this model costs more and I have it so its got to be better'
I started a thread reviewing my incubator and others posted to it as well with good results. Here is that thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/852897/name-change-my-first-experience-with-farm-innovators-bator
You are so right about the bad reviews being more readily found than good! People often march straight to their computer with a bad experience and not often enough with a good one. This leaves a disproportionate amount of information that can really muddle the true point of reviews for the rest of us. Like I said, I don't remember having problems with my styrofoam incubator as a teenager; I just followed my AG teachers instructions, there was never any great amount of research either. I turned it on, put water in it, drew X's and O's on the eggs and manually turned them several times a day. People are stunned and gasp that they can't believe it worked but you are probably right in that common sense goes a long way and is just as important as the tools. I just had 8 baby chicks come in this morning from Tennessee so I have my babies for now but as soon as they get close to moving out of the brooder I want to get started with hatching eggs for my Chocolate Orpingtons. I will make sure I check out that thread, thanks again!!

I have had great success with the Hova-Bator 1586! Temp holds steady and good viewing window. This time around I got another Hova-Bator for the last 3 days because I have a few different batches going at once.

Last edited:
jumpy.gif

Just had great success with my new HovaBator 1583 with the auto turner!

My first try was with a Farm Innovators brand which had a faulty thermostat and spiked
up in the 106 degree range just randomly and never would hold steady. Maybe just 1 lemon.

This HOVABATOR was worry-free!!! I highly recommend it... The proof is in the live chicks!

I had an old round hovabator, a newer (well newer than the round!) rectangular hovabator, both of which I used 20 years ago and then again recently. They aren't bad if you are paying attention. Hatch rate isn't spectacular, but they work. (Short of carrying them around in your shirt, this is incubating "the hard way".)

Then I bought the incukit, because I needed more space. I put it together, and had a hard time regulating the temp and humidity. I am a DIY'er normally, but when the eggs are expensive, like your chocolate Orps, it's frustrating to not be able to get it just right. It wasn't consistent enough for me.

Then I bought Farm Innovators rectangular Styrofoam forced air incubator and their turner. It has a thermometer on the top, but it isn't necessarily accurate. The random 106 degree spike that was listed above happened to me too. I had purchased (2) of them and one seems to be better regulated than the other, but still......

So I bought the Brinsea Octagon 20 and the cradle(turner). I can't tell you how much easier it is to keep track of! The cooling cycle is something that the others don't do, the power failure and temperature alarms are nice to have, and when you have to open it for whatever reason, the inside temp is right back up to where it should be faster than any other that I have used.

I have left a thermometer inside in all 4 corners and in the center at different times, and the incubator is "dead on" what the thermometer on top says it is. The humidity is generally pretty easy to regulate with a vent on the face of the incubator. It's also much easier to clean than the Styrofoam ones. Hard molded plastic. The design is a better footprint, too. I currently have 2 on my kitchen counter and still have room to work.

I hunted high and low (ebay, amazon, Jeffers Livestock....) I ended up purchasing directly from Brinsea as I had signed up for their email specials, and it went on sale in at the end of the month. By searching "Brinsea coupon" I also was able to received free shipping.

I like my Octagon 20 so much that I bought another one. (needless to say, I couldn't afford to go to the movies for a while, never mind popcorn! but I am not sorry one bit!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom