Which is less worse

ecajean

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Foothills of CA
Because there are still chicks hatching, I'm putting this here. I put a nest under my setting hen with 3 eggs under her, (in a PP, I had mentioned that she had been setting and I was worried she was going to loose eggs/babies because she was sitting on a dresser in the garage. Turns out she was setting on NOTHING so I made a nest for her and put 3 eggs under her. I tried moving her but she just kept going back.). So over the next few days other hens would go in there and lay so now that it is hatch day, instead of 3 there are 9 eggs.

OK, three have hatched. I am SO worried that they are going to hop out of the nest and fall behind the dresser or off the dresser when mama decides to go for the first outing. So my question to you all is this: Which would be less worse, scooping chicks as they hatch and brooding them myself or moving her?

HELP!
Erica

Quote:
Yes could you scoop her into a box with tall sides and open top?? So the chicks could not jump out? And then when the hatch is done I would move the hen and babies to the ground somewhere. I wouldn't think she would leave the babies once they are all out and on the ground in a safe place.

Quote:
Could you add some taller cardboard sides to the box she is already in? Like a border around it, with tape or something so they couldn't hop out?

oooo that might work with the higher box. The kids want the mama to raise the babies not us. I like the idea of brooding them my self, lol.

OK so I tried to see if I could put up some cardboard, or put the box in a larger box, but neither worked out very well so I pulled the two fluffy chicks out and saw the other one, still damp and a wet chick, so I'll get them later tonight...This hatching thing STRESSES ME OUT!!!!

Just snuggle the babies and all the stress will melt away....

You're doing a great job... you're taking care of babies... you're getting sleepy...

Oh, wait, we weren't going for sleepy, just relaxing, sorry, got carried away.
lol.png

Michelle

So we have 4 chicks now, 2 Buff Orpington, one Orpington/Red Leghorn cross, one Orpington Easter Egger cross (we have a Orpington Roo). There are SEVEN eggs this hen is laying on. I wish everyone would stop laying there! I'm going to be hatching one chick a day at this rate!

Originally I put three eggs, 2 orpington and one Leghorn egg under her. the Easter Egger was a surprise!

Erica

Back
Top Bottom