Which is More Desirable in Silkies?

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
Is a vaulted skull more desirable than a non-vaulted skull?

Is it just that vaulted skulls tend to have better crests or is it a fault to not have a vaulted skull in silkies?

This is one of the culls I got from a breeder in OK...I got her for just setting purposes. I "mohawked" her so she could see a bit better, but just wanted an opinion for the "if" factor in showing...
Mikaela128.jpg

The other pullet has much better foot feathering and crest, but she happened to be out of reach.

You got her just for setting? I will gladly take her off your hands.
wink.png

I am just new into silkies, but my understanding is the vaulted skulls make bigger poofs on their heads, which seems to be the trend for judging now.(bigger poofs) Real technical here!
lol.png

I think the actual standard says that they are not supposed to have reall big poofs.

I am a bit concerned with the vaulted skulls because I think there can be easier damage to the brain.

Last edited:
Oh I think the poor dear looks awful! Simply awful!
sad.png

This is going to be a sacrifice on my part, but I like you so...
Just bring that poor baby to the show on Saturday. I'll take her off your hands. It's the least I can do.
big_smile.png

Whether a vaulted skull produces a better crest is controversial--to my knowledge, many people have opinions, but no actual studies or research has been done to verify either stand.

Some breeders select for vaulted skulls, some against and many don;t use that as a criteria for selecting for or against.

The standard says nothing about presence or absense of vaulted skull.

In the past it was thought that vaulted skulls produced more feathers per sqaure cm or mm or whatever the measurement. It is/was also thought that the roundness of the vault created a more round shaped top knot.

Today it is a highly controversial subject. Some breeders still prefer it, and others are breeding away from it. It basically all boils down to personal feelings, thoughts, and opinions on the matter.

So, it is possible for a bird without a vaulted skull to still have as good a crest size as a bird with a vaulted skull?

Not interested in breeding...just kind of think it's an interesting subject. Always wondered it. I just assumed that all "good" birds with heavier crests surely had vaulted skulls.

Back
Top Bottom