Which is more economical...raising chickens for meat or turkeys?

Quote:
That's quite the variety of birds to be raising for meat!

Just FYI on commercial turkeys: hormones aren't allowed in any poultry production. The following excerpt was taken from a USDA website:

NO HORMONES (pork or poultry):
Hormones are not allowed in raising hogs or poultry. Therefore, the claim "no hormones added" cannot be used on the labels of pork or poultry unless it is followed by a statement that says "Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones."

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Meat_&_Poultry_Labeling_Terms/index.asp

The other reasons you list for not wanting to eat conventionally grown, store-bought turkeys are all right-on, however!

chickens are more economical but turkeys are more fun. I have both chickens for eggs and narragansette turkeys for meat. I plan on adding meat chickens(free rangers) next year. If you are raising them for your own consumption I would raise both. Man cannot live by chicken alone. I love my turkeys they have such personallities. The most beautiful ugly birds in the world.

The heritage turkeys take a long time to grow up, so if your counting on raising one batch of turkeys instead of two or three batches of chickens, you may need to invest in more freezer space. You could stagger starting times of heritage turkeys to have them filling out throughout the year, but then you have issues with getting small orders and introducing smaller younger birds into flocks of older larger birds (I have not tried this myself, perhaps some people have had success with this)?

I would think that if you are just feeding yourself, the chickens would be more practical, but if you didn't mind selling s few to friends, the turkeys will be much more fun!!!!

Quote:
My first choice was the Narrangasett, mostly because they look pretty...but some poeple I"ve talked to say they aren't that good for meat. Anyone have any ideas who have had experience?
Are they really not worth it, just to have a heritage breed?
I realize they take longer to reach sizefor eating, but that is not so important to me, but is important that the have good meat by then.

I'm not even thinking about AI, I draw the line...!

I've found Narrangasetts, BB Bronze, and Red Bourbon, all $50 each, probably jeuvenile birds breedable by spring.
Sue

Last edited:
The most economical is to buy chicken in Sams or Turkey wnen is on sale for $.99 a lb .

Wheater it is the healtiest or tastiest choice of meat that is another story subject to discussion.

Quote:
Sad but very very true. Price wise you can't raise them cheaper than a factory farm. For me..... you can have my share. I don't care what it costs or how much time and effort is involved in sitting down to a totaly home grown meal, that is priceless to me.

Steve

Yea guys, if you are cheap you will eat a cheap stuff.

If you want tasty, healthy and nutritious food you raise it yourself and do not count every penny it cost you!!!

THERE IS NO GAIN without PAIN.

And remember.......

Back
Top Bottom