A problem with dying turkeys

SilverLacedLover

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
Hello all, we are trying turkeys for our first time this year and got 12, thinking that was a good number to start with. As a successful raiser of layer chickens and a ton of meat chickens, this seemed like an easy undertaking and all was going well until we hit week 4 1/2. Everything was going great until we moved all 12 of them down onto the floor and that is when disaster happened. A couple of days later, the turkeys stopped moving around and refused to eat or drink. I was able to get a couple to recognize where the food and water were, and soon the rest followed suit. Except for 2. They stayed still for another couple of days not doing much and eventually died. Since this was my first death in raising over 75 birds, I was shocked but also curious, wanting to know why things took such a bad turn. Fast forward a couple of days through frantic research and cleaning, I had lost two more. But then the alarming news. We are raising 25 meat chickens who are currently 1 week old and just lost one. Now I am concerned that this could be a disease or something that I have spread between coops. This brings me to today, where almost two and half years ago you guys helped me figure out whether I had a hen or a rooster, I hope you guys can help me figure out what I should do.

And yes, I have looked into diseases like Coccidiosis and are implementing corid, the recommended drug into their diet. But if you guys are seeing something that I am not, or know more than I do, (which you probably do) please let me know.

Thanks

Hello all, we are trying turkeys for our first time this year and got 12, thinking that was a good number to start with. As a successful raiser of layer chickens and a ton of meat chickens, this seemed like an easy undertaking and all was going well until we hit week 4 1/2. Everything was going great until we moved all 12 of them down onto the floor and that is when disaster happened. A couple of days later, the turkeys stopped moving around and refused to eat or drink. I was able to get a couple to recognize where the food and water were, and soon the rest followed suit. Except for 2. They stayed still for another couple of days not doing much and eventually died. Since this was my first death in raising over 75 birds, I was shocked but also curious, wanting to know why things took such a bad turn. Fast forward a couple of days through frantic research and cleaning, I had lost two more. But then the alarming news. We are raising 25 meat chickens who are currently 1 week old and just lost one. Now I am concerned that this could be a disease or something that I have spread between coops. This brings me to today, where almost two and half years ago you guys helped me figure out whether I had a hen or a rooster, I hope you guys can help me figure out what I should do.

And yes, I have looked into diseases like Coccidiosis and are implementing corid, the recommended drug into their diet. But if you guys are seeing something that I am not, or know more than I do, (which you probably do) please let me know.

Thanks
Is blackhead (histomaniasis) a problem in your area?

Blackhead (histomoniasis) references

Back
Top Bottom