Which is the best bedding to use for my baby chicks??

I like to use aspen shavings. It doesn't have the chemicals that are released from getting wet, like the others do. It's also low dust and low smell (I raise reptiles too and this is what many snake breeders use for bedding). The sand idea sounds like a good deal too.

I have used paper towels, expensive changing it very often, they I went to Dollar Tree and bought puppy pee pee pads. This worked too. When I moved them to the barn out of my shower, I switch them to curly pine shavings. They seem to eat that. Hope it doesn't make them sick. The latest thing I am trying is after my husband cut the grass, I raked up the grass and used it for bedding in the nexting boxes. Wonder if they will eat the sand or cat litter? They sure do poop alot. And then scratch the poop and soiled bedding into their water and food dishes. All I ever do is clean dishes, and pick up chicken poop. So much work and it is super hot here in Florida even with the fans on out at the barn. My stalls are 12 X 24, it takes alot of bedding. I need to know what is cheapest and easiest, and safest for my chicks.

Getting our first baby chicks in a few weeks so I've been reading all things chicken. I've seen many posts about using Sweet Pdz in poop trays but what about for newborn chicks? Does anyone use it from day 1 safely? It sounds clean and much less smelly...

I found pine shavings to work better than straw but not as good a sand. Straw needs to be changed more often than the other two, pine shavings put dust everywhere and sand is just the best.

Thanks! I'm heading out to pick up a load of sand today. Do you find buying it by the yard makes sense? I can put the pile somewhat close to the coop...but thinking I'll cover it with a big sheeting plastic? I've really appreciated this group! When you plop a chicken coop in your backyard is when you realize how little you know about chickens! I also need to do some serious predator-proofing. The coop is close to the house but there are little gaps here and there...also, the run is enclosed with chicken wire, not hardware fabric. Who knew?!?!

Very good idea!!!! Did it work out well? My baby Geese will be here in 2 weeks and I'm a little concerned what the house will smell like lol!

Back
Top Bottom