Which is the best bedding to use for my baby chicks??

chickitty

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
Mangilao, Guam
I'm just wondering what kind of bedding i should get for them...
jumpy.gif

I agree, we use pine shavings. They work really well you, as coveacres said you do need to use paper on the first few days, and after that you have to change it often it gets pretty nasty pretty quick.

I used sand and I'd definitely do it that way again. Any droppings dried right out in the sand and were easy to scoop out with a kitty litter scoop. There was never any smell or dust issue either. Also, the chicks can use the sand as grit.

I used sand and I'd definitely do it that way again. Any droppings dried right out in the sand and were easy to scoop out with a kitty litter scoop. There was never any smell or dust issue either. Also, the chicks can use the sand as grit.

That is genius! What kind of sand? Play sand or what?

I would love to use sand too but heard it's much more economical to get it at a sand/gravel place rather than the bagged playsand. There is a WHOLE article on using sand Nslangton if you go on the Home page then to the Learning Page, then under Housing and Feeding, THEN Using sand in your coops. Whew. lol. Anyway, I just found that this morning and am pretty
sold on the idea, but look at the sand they recommend. Playsand WILL work for sure but I think it would be cheaper to get a truckful if needed and they're saying it is a better
form of sand too. I don't know but I want it for my chicks AND my whole chicken coop so will definitely need more later. Kim

Back
Top Bottom