which is the proper way to decomb a rooster

Fighting Roosters, and Dubbing is CRUEL!! They arrest people where I live for that and it is Banned!
somad.gif

Sparkles 2307

I read somewheres that you can put petroleum jelly on the wattles and combs to protect them. Sounds like a long winter
smile.png

Yeah no doubt!

We have good circulation, there are two large vents in the floor of the hayloft right above the coop. I plan to put square bales up in the loft, and around the walls of the coop, plus about 12 inches of straw on the floor to start and add as needed. we have heat lamps out there and the building is a grain bin from the 50's so its tighter than a drum except for where we purposefully put ventillation. I think I will try it this winter and see how it goes.

Sorry for hyjacking this thread!!! I have to say that I dont believe in dubbing unless its to prevent injury or due to frostbite.

Well, here's my two cent's worth: If someone has to ask instructions on how to remove comb and wattle, this person probably isn't the right person to be doing the procedure. Furthermore, I would say that this practice ranks right up there with debeaking as far as cruelty and torture caused needlessly to the animal. If a chicken has frostbite or an infection in the comb and wattles, I can certainly understand performing the practice as a way of saving the rooster. Otherwise, Why in the world would you want to do that to a beautiful, innocent chicken?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
The only humane purpose is if the roo is going to be living in a cold climate and frostbite is a concern. Some people believe that removing large combs and wattles is better than running the risk of frostbite. Whether they lose their combs to dubbing or frostbite, it is terribly painful for the bird and supportive care needs to be given.

Actually dubbing doesn't seem to bother them much at all. I've raised various large fowl & bantam games for years & the males of these breeds must be dubbed to be shown.
Once the dubbing is done & you put the bird down they usually start eating, scratching or chasing a hen. The only "supportive care" I've ever given them is some blood stop powder to stem the bleeding-most don't even require that.
Frost bite on the other hand does appear to be painful as it really affects the bird's behavior.

Quote:
as stated in the title I just wanted to know if there is a proper way(differently then I know how), The way we do it in puertorico is just as the same as I recieved here, the only thing is that there is a spray to stop bleeding and speed up healing sold in the island.

Back
Top Bottom