which is the proper way to decomb a rooster

Here`s a good article on dubbing......Pop

Dubbing Advice - How To Dubb A Rooster. For Show Fowl, Gamefowl and OEG's
Chickens - Dubbing Tips For Show Fowl - OEG's

I've dubbed hundreds of OEs and gamefowl and the only part of dubbing I look forward to is the way they look when they're all healed, it changes their appearance dramatically. All you will need is some SHARP scissors or dubbing scissors, something to wrap the rooster in ( a slightly damp towel works good ), blood stop powder ( just in case ), a roll of paper towels, alcohol and a clean bucket of cool water. Clean the scissors and wipe them down with the alcohol, snugly wrap the rooster in the damp towel and if your lucky enough to have a good helper have them hold the bird and keep the head still by holding the comb.

I start with the wattles, pull the wattle down stretching slightly and as close the beak as you can starting from the front working your way back towards the earlobe, remove the wattle getting ALL folds and wrinkles. When the wattle is removed go to the earlobe and pinch up all you can with your off hand, WATCH HIS EAR and remove as much as you can. Repeat the procedure on the other side. I try to leave a thin strip of skin between where the wattles were, if you don't it'll look like you cut his throat, But it's OK, it'll heal. Now the comb, take your time and decide how much to leave, too little or too much and the bird will not look as good as he could have. These little roosters have a natural line that runs horizontally in their comb, use that as a guide ( I usually cut slightly above the line ).

The first thing I remove is the back part of the comb ( the blade ), cutting as close to the comb's base as you can, cut it off ( straight up and down ). Then starting at the front ( some start from the back ) as close to the beak as you can begin making the cut ( some like a straight cut, some like a slightly curved cut ). KEEP IN MIND YOU CAN'T PUT IT BACK IF YOU CUT TOO MUCH OFF. When you've completed cutting you should have a point at the back, round it off, slightly. Look him over real good to see if you need to go back and trim anything you may have missed. A good clean dubbing job makes a lot of difference at the shows.TIPS,DON'T DUB IN HOT WEATHER, their blood is thin and the game birds bleed a lot heavier.

I dub my roosters at night but early enough that I can watch them for a few hours. They are easier to catch and they settle down quicker in the dark.Sometimes you'll have one that bleeds a little heavy, when that happens I pull a downy feather from under his vent and put it over the comb and sprinkle the blood stop powder over it.TAKE YOUR TIME, it's a chore you'll want to be over and done with, BUT, poor dubbing hurts your chances at the shows.

Quote:
Intentional conflict is illegal in the whole of the United States.

Dubbing, in my opinion, is not cruel. It can actually save the life of a bird in cases of frost bite infection. If a person chooses to raise a and show a breed that requires dubbing in accordance with the breed standard then that is their right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it when performed properly.

If you do not approve of dubbing, why even post on a thread of that very topic?

Quote:
The same reason tails and ears are docked on puppies. For looks.
wink.png
Oh, and as I mentioned in my post above, it's required for exhibition in certain breed standards (i.e. Old English, American Games, and Modern Games).

Here's a very informative post in a different thread concerning dubbing: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2486119#p2486119

Last edited:
Quote:

Dubbing, in my opinion, is not cruel. It can actually save the life of a bird in cases of frost bite infection. If a person chooses to raise a and show a breed that requires dubbing in accordance with the breed standard then that is their right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it when performed properly.

I wandered what was wrong with the Rooster that the original poster would want to remove the comb and wattles, I looked at the post and was Horrified that someone would want to do that to a Rooster when the Rooster was not suffering from Frostbite or injury. I just do not understand why someone would want to show an animal of any kind if that animal had to be mutilated or maimed, this Dubbing is being done without anisthetic and is not done by a Veterenarian, when a Dog has it's ears cropped and tails docked, it is done by a vet and the Dog is under anisthetic. A lot of people are trying to stop the docking of tails and the cropping of ears because they consider it unessesary and a Vet will agree, the same goes for Dubbing, it is only necessary if the Rooster is injured or Frostbite. It is the original posters right to do as she wants with her Rooster, I just hope she chooses not to Dubb and leave her Rooster with his Beautifull Comb and Wattles and not cause him unessesary pain.

Quote:

I wandered what was wrong with the Rooster that the original poster would want to remove the comb and wattles, I looked at the post and was Horrified that someone would want to do that to a Rooster when the Rooster was not suffering from Frostbite or injury. I just do not understand why someone would want to show an animal of any kind if that animal had to be mutilated or maimed, this Dubbing is being done without anisthetic and is not done by a Veterenarian, when a Dog has it's ears cropped and tails docked, it is done by a vet and the Dog is under anisthetic. A lot of people are trying to stop the docking of tails and the cropping of ears because they consider it unessesary and a Vet will agree, the same goes for Dubbing, it is only necessary if the Rooster is injured or Frostbite. It is the original posters right to do as she wants with her Rooster, I just hope she chooses not to Dubb and leave her Rooster with his Beautifull Comb and Wattles and not cause him unessesary pain.

If you have a OEG or Modern game you HAVE to dub it to show it! Its the standard for the bird.

BTW soto as the unmetionalble sport is totally legal in PR you can probably find someone there to show you how to do it.

most of the poultry suppliers sell shears or scissors for it.

Quote:
Old english are trimmed (dubbed) at about 1/4th of a inch above their head, and must have a smooth round look for a good trim.. moderns combs are completely cut off, Americans can be either way i believe, but i personally like the completely cut off comb as it is easier and i think it looks better.

Back
Top Bottom