which is the proper way to decomb a rooster

Quote:
The only humane purpose is if the roo is going to be living in a cold climate and frostbite is a concern. Some people believe that removing large combs and wattles is better than running the risk of frostbite. Whether they lose their combs to dubbing or frostbite, it is terribly painful for the bird and supportive care needs to be given.

Actually dubbing doesn't seem to bother them much at all. I've raised various large fowl & bantam games for years & the males of these breeds must be dubbed to be shown.
Once the dubbing is done & you put the bird down they usually start eating, scratching or chasing a hen. The only "supportive care" I've ever given them is some blood stop powder to stem the bleeding-most don't even require that.
Frost bite on the other hand does appear to be painful as it really affects the bird's behavior.

Quote:
as stated in the title I just wanted to know if there is a proper way(differently then I know how), The way we do it in puertorico is just as the same as I recieved here, the only thing is that there is a spray to stop bleeding and speed up healing sold in the island.

Quote:
Intentional conflict is illegal in the whole of the United States.

Dubbing, in my opinion, is not cruel. It can actually save the life of a bird in cases of frost bite infection. If a person chooses to raise a and show a breed that requires dubbing in accordance with the breed standard then that is their right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it when performed properly.

If you do not approve of dubbing, why even post on a thread of that very topic?

I wandered what was wrong with the Rooster that the original poster would want to remove the comb and wattles, I looked at the post and was Horrified that someone would want to do that to a Rooster when the Rooster was not suffering from Frostbite or injury. I just do not understand why someone would want to show an animal of any kind if that animal had to be mutilated or maimed, this Dubbing is being done without anisthetic and is not done by a Veterenarian, when a Dog has it's ears cropped and tails docked, it is done by a vet and the Dog is under anisthetic. A lot of people are trying to stop the docking of tails and the cropping of ears because they consider it unessesary and a Vet will agree, the same goes for Dubbing, it is only necessary if the Rooster is injured or Frostbite. It is the original posters right to do as she wants with her Rooster, I just hope she chooses not to Dubb and leave her Rooster with his Beautifull Comb and Wattles and not cause him unessesary pain.

Quote:
I am on vacation in puertorico and bought a small rooster that over here they call kikiriki, and he is dubbed.I was looking at him yesterday and I was only thinking of how other people did it.

Quote:
Intentional conflict is illegal in the whole of the United States.

Dubbing, in my opinion, is not cruel. It can actually save the life of a bird in cases of frost bite infection. If a person chooses to raise a and show a breed that requires dubbing in accordance with the breed standard then that is their right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it when performed properly.

If you do not approve of dubbing, why even post on a thread of that very topic?

I wandered what was wrong with the Rooster that the original poster would want to remove the comb and wattles, I looked at the post and was Horrified that someone would want to do that to a Rooster when the Rooster was not suffering from Frostbite or injury. I just do not understand why someone would want to show an animal of any kind if that animal had to be mutilated or maimed, this Dubbing is being done without anisthetic and is not done by a Veterenarian, when a Dog has it's ears cropped and tails docked, it is done by a vet and the Dog is under anisthetic. A lot of people are trying to stop the docking of tails and the cropping of ears because they consider it unessesary and a Vet will agree, the same goes for Dubbing, it is only necessary if the Rooster is injured or Frostbite. It is the original posters right to do as she wants with her Rooster, I just hope she chooses not to Dubb and leave her Rooster with his Beautifull Comb and Wattles and not cause him unessesary pain.

If you have a OEG or Modern game you HAVE to dub it to show it! Its the standard for the bird.

BTW soto as the unmetionalble sport is totally legal in PR you can probably find someone there to show you how to do it.

most of the poultry suppliers sell shears or scissors for it.

To dub, or not to dub?

Alright, so this is a much debated topic in the world of poultry. Half of the people believe that you should, others believe you should not because it is "mutilating them" and "unnecessary", so what im going to do is basically write my opinion out on it and you can agree or disagree it really does not matter. In the end it always comes down to what we all have "personal opinions".

Ok so we have the reasons to dub, you must for showing of most games excluding the oriental since most believe they look better with no wattles, earlobes, and a small comb. A lot of people believe that dubbing improves their look, however when people do it for this 99% of the time they get a "animal abuser" comment in return. And then one of the biggest reasons to dub is frostbite, anyone who has ever owned a bird with it, or read about it should know by now that it is HORRIBLY painful for the bird.. Dubbing rids or helps with the problem of frostbite and in my opinion does not cause pain, and if it does... It's no where near the amount of frostbite or if they poke their head through the wire and get their comb stuck, i've seen that happen a lot with birds like, leghorns, rhode island reds, and other big combed birds.. Usually coming to get their head eaten by a dog or something else unless someone happens to come by before it happens.. Almost if not everyone, who has ever dubbed will agree that it's perfectly fine. And just because you are in a warm climate does not mean that your birds can't get frostbite, it is based off more of the.. Moisture in the air than actual temperature.

But then we have the people who have never done it, or never experienced it.. They just read about it and immediately think it is horrible and painful because they are forgetting they aren't people, so yes that means IT IS NOT LIKE GETTING YOUR EAR CUT OFF. With that said we then have the reasons not to dub, people believe it is more painful than frostbite, some people like the looks of big combs/wattles, some just can't do it because they've never seen it done and have set in their mind it is a painful bloody experience and their stomach couldn't take it, and then some people believe the comb, and wattles are vital for a cooling system.. Where the blood circulates through the comb/wattles to get closer to air and then it cools down the blood and supposedly cools down the bird.

Ok.. So all i can say is dubbing is nowhere near as painful as frostbite, frostbite will effect a chickens behavior and is a slow process which will make it even worse, so compare that to dubbing which may take a matter of.. 2 minutes? And dubbing doesn't even effect the chickens behavior, most of the time it makes them act better right after it is done. As for the cooling system i just don't believe it... I believe any vital organ, or body part would cause a terrible blood loss and kill the chicken in a matter of minutes.. Dubbing barely makes the chickens bleed and if you put flour, sugar, or some other form of "blood stop powder (they sell this as well)" it is even less, the most blood i've ever seen was just enough to run down the beak, usually it just sits on the head and with the powder... That's as far as it goes usually unless you clipped the head (which really i've never heard of anyone doing but im sure it'd be possible).

If it does help with the chickens cooling system, i will say this- it is not much, because by just dubbing the comb you can see there is not much bloodflow and cool blood inside of a warm body? I think it would be about like dropping a teaspoon of freezing water into a tub of hot water, it may be cold for a total of 3.5 seconds but after that it will be the same temp. And my chickens, and others as well do PERFECTLY fine with a dubbed comb, so that there is enough to show that it doesn't help enough to care about, if you're worried about the heat/keeping your birds cool.. Then that is your job to have the correct setup and care to do that for them. Otherwise turn them out on the yard and let them care for themselves.

Everyone i've ever met that has seen or done the dubbing themselves is for it, the ones that are against it usually have never done/been around it so they are "uneducated" on the subject, for these people.. I'll say when you've done it, then you tell me what you think. Until then it is best to not pass judgement upon others who have DONE and EXPERIENCED it personally, books can only get you so far. It's always best "in my opinion" to have physical, hands on, experience. And please don't think i was writing this out of anger, that is usually the last thing on my mind when i am writing a post, article, or whatever in public. -DTchickens.

If you want to see the links for the articles that write on how to, and has pictures.. Go to my pages where all of this was typed to begin with..

Last edited:
My only problem with Dubbing, is the way it is done. Can there be a less painfull way, by having a Vet perform the Dubbing, and put the Rooster under anisthetic? I have seen Dubbed Roosters and thought that they were not as pretty as a Rooster that had a Comb, and Wattles. When a Rooster is born with a Comb, and Wattles, why is it the breeds standard to Dubb just to show the Rooster? The unmentionable that these Roosters were bred for is Illegal, so why still Dubb? I totally agree that you should Dubb if the Rooster has Frostbite, or has been injured, where you have to Dubb to prevent further pain, as For the Comb and Wattles being part of the Cooling system, it serves some Purpose, or the Rooster would not be born with a Comb and Wattles.

Quote:
No thanks, I don't need to saw parts off of my chickens to know that it's cruel and sickening to me unless it's done for medical reasons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom