Which ivermectin for dogs?

()relics wrote: many shelters also gas dogs regularly to "free up more space"so I would think the few they lose to Ivomec misuse might just be helping their cause...you didn't Read Infestation...shelters= bad example for anything. Just an FYI Ivomec is a heartworm killer not an inhibitor...maybe just a simple google search?

I know what I'm talking about. Ivomec kills microfilaria and L3 ands L4 larvae but it will not kill adult heartworm. How it works on the adult heartworm is it sterilizes the worm so it can't reproduce and shortens the adult worms life. So if the dog has a load of heartworms and is healthy enough to handle that load for about 2 years it can be treated with Ivomec.​

I have bred and shown dogs for almost 20 years and I use the 1% injectible Ivomec (or generic). The bottle comes in a 50cc size. I give it orally and use 1/10th of 1cc for each 10 pounds of body weight. If you have a hard time giving it to them, I used a piece of bread and squirt the ivermectin on it and then layer peanut butter over it and they eat it right up.
smile.png
Hope this helps.

Candace

()relics :

Quote:
I've read that thread and think that the math, which is never written down except for one type of ivomec, is shakey at best.
Secondly A dog that has a heartworm infestation will die if given ivomec. Read infestation....Heartworms could be present in the dog in a low concentration and ivo could do the job without apparent damage to the dog But at the higher critical level an ivomec treatment WOULD kill a dog. A heartworm infestation that is subsequently killed off would cause massive damage to the heart upon the parasites exit. True enough the dog could live but the heart could also be damaged beyond it ability to function.
I also think caution is the best bet. If you think there is even a chance that your dog may react poorly to Ivomec/heartgard you should have him tested..But I also think that most vets are More Than Happy to DOCTOR away on you dogs, as long as you have the money. If you have ever dealt with large animal vets you will soon see even they question "normal small pet practices". Best to have a good relationship with your horse vet and let her watch over your dogs.....I haven't had an antigen test on any of my dogs for years, on the advice of my horse vet, but they get their monthly Ivo dose.

The math is shake because they are two figures going on. Part of the people are trying to figure out the hart-worm only dose an others are trying to treat other things.

Most breeders give orally 1% injectible at 1/10th of 1cc for each 10 pounds of body weight every 30 days. I use an Insulin needle to measure it out. Some breeds are sensitive to it but it will not kill a dog because it is hart-worm positive.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I know what I'm talking about. Ivomec kills microfilaria and L3 ands L4 larvae but it will not kill adult heartworm. How it works on the adult heartworm is it sterilizes the worm so it can't reproduce and shortens the adult worms life. So if the dog has a load of heartworms and is healthy enough to handle that load for about 2 years it can be treated with Ivomec.

THis is right. Although I do not believe it sterilizes adult worms, What it does is kills the "babies" With continued monthly doseing the "babies" are continually killed. The adult worms live out there life cycle approx 2 years and with no "babies" to replace the adults once all the adults ddie off,the dog would be heartworm negative.

I have ivomectin 5% (for cattle).. pour-on...
I used it to treat my chickens for mites..(cleared them right up!...)
Can i use the 5% pour-on for dogs...?
Or do i need to go buy the injectible..

No do not use pour-on for heartworm prevention in dogs. Buy the 1% cattle injection and give it to you dogs orally.

Quote:
Our mutt dog weighs about 40 pounds I believe. My daughter just used Ivermectin pour on (blue liquid) on him. She had a syringe with about 1/4 cc liquid in it, and used most of it (drops on his neck). He is still alive and well. Maybe she just got lucky, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom