Which ivermectin for dogs?

Mange often affects animals that have other illnesses. I would call animal control and have them take care of it. I would definitely suggest testing for rabies.

Raccoons that are out during the day are females looking for food while their babies are asleep and predators are as well. The "rabid" raccoon thing is a made up unfortunate myth that has gotten a lot of healthy wildlife killed. People kill the mothers and the babies die of starvation. I don't think that kind of behavior is getting anyone into heaven.

Mange often affects animals that have other illnesses. I would call animal control and have them take care of it. I would definitely suggest testing for rabies.
I appreciate your concern, however, rabies is VERY rare these days, even in wildlife. If an animal has it, they are going to die pretty quickly.

Again, another myth everyone buys into about sick animals. They immediately and recklessly jump to the rabies scare.

Sine this keeps showing up, I want to educate everyone on this subject a bit. I have done quite a lot of research on vaccines and the rabies scare is part of the whole scare tactic to get us to spend money. We allow vets to over-vaccinate our animals (like we do our kids) for diseases that aren't even much of a problem anymore. And the vaccines cause more issues that the supposed risk of getting the disease. At MOST your should only vaccinate every 3 years. I don't mean getting the new extra-strength 3 year vaccine. Just like doctors, vets are "educated" on medications and vaccines by the pharmaceutical companies. And what are they? Businesses who want to sell a product. And who are the experts the send out to talk to vets and doctors? Sales people who work on commissions. You gotta think about what is going on.

We're all smarter than this. Let's get educated on these subjects so we can stop putting our families and animals at risk so some billionaires can make more money on getting us sicker.

Anyway,f acts are facts and I do my research to make sure everyone is safe. So, done with that rant. I'm not here for a debate, just asking a question.

Back to the question, how much should I use?

If you won't answer that, how about this question: HOW MUCH DO YOU USE FOR YOUR DOG PER POUND? Guess I should have asked that, instead to avoid the Chicken Little syndrome. hahaha
D.gif

Quote: Just what do you consider "VERY rare?" There have been at least a handful of confirmed cases (as in, tested in a laboratory confirmed) in my county every year for many years now. In 2009, there were 20 confirmed cases (with many years close to that), and that's just in this relatively small corner of North Carolina. I know a girl that had to do the shot series when she handled a (confirmed) rabid bat. There were 3 or 4 people who got chewed on by a rabid cat in the parking lot of their apartment building. A couple of years ago, two (confirmed) rabid raccoons were picked up within half a mile of my house within the same week. Animal Control doesn't have the resources to deal with any kind of hysterical "it's a wild animal, gotta trap it and kill it" nonsense; they require that the animals have actual contact with people or their pets before they will get involved, so there's no telling how many possibly rabid animals were seen but never tested because nobody was directly exposed. I can't speak for your part of the world, but in my neck of the woods, rabies is a very real, very valid concern.

Last edited:
Rabies is a fatal disease EVERY time - in humans and animals. I won't get into disputing the things you mentioned in your post, but if there is a sick raccoon, bat, or other animal (raccoons and bats are very susceptible, even more so than dogs to rabies), I would certainly want to send it in for testing to protect myself and my pets.

I can also assure you that immunology is not taught by pharmaceutical companies in vet school.

Additionally, it would be illegal for you to give ivermectin to a wild animal in the United States without the proper license.

Just what do you consider "VERY rare?" There have been at least a handful of confirmed cases (as in, tested in a laboratory confirmed) in my county every year for many years now. In 2009, there were 20 confirmed cases (with many years close to that), and that's just in this relatively small corner of North Carolina. I know a girl that had to do the shot series when she handled a (confirmed) rabid bat. There were 3 or 4 people who got chewed on by a rabid cat in the parking lot of their apartment building. A couple of years ago, two (confirmed) rabid raccoons were picked up within half a mile of my house within the same week. Animal Control doesn't have the resources to deal with any kind of hysterical "it's a wild animal, gotta trap it and test it" nonsense; they require that the animals have actual contact with people or their pets before they will get involved, so there's no telling how many possibly rabid animals were seen but never tested because nobody was directly exposed.  I can't speak for your part of the world, but in my neck of the woods, rabies is a very real, very valid concern.
I agree, rabies is nothing to mess around with. We country folks shoot any odd acting wild animal, and always assume they could be carrying it. Normal wild animals don't come usually come around, or are so bold.

For those who prefer not to kill our precious wildlife, I found the following:

Earlier this year a large male raccoon who was badly infected with mange appeared in our neighborhood. Months later the parasites had spread through more than half the raccoon population (about 24 raccoons in the neighborhood, total). Several animals fell to the illness, and of course, the local dogs and cats were at risk. I finally found an online exotic animal vet who gave me directions on how to cure my wild neighbors. The worst cases were three tiny baby raccoons I dubbed "the naked mole rat brothers"; they had almost no hair at all! I have no "before" photos (I could barely stand to look at the little gray hairless wrinkled creatures), but as you can see in the "after" pictures of the two remaining brothers (one was lost), they've developed an oddly colored downy coat after a few weeks of treatment. They're playing, wrestling, and behaving like normal baby raccoons now.
happy.gif

Since mange is everywhere this year i thought I would post the advice the vet gave me. He noted that this treatment should NOT be used on cats or turtles, but all other animals are OK;
Go to a feed store and buy a 30 or 60 ml bottle of Ivomec which is an injectable ivermectin solution for use in cattle to prevent bots. The dose of ivermectin to cure mange is one milliliter (1ml or 1cc) per 110 pounds of body weight given every week mixed with a little canned food. You need to mix it just before they eat it. A large raccoon weighs about thirty pounds so it would get about one third of a cc.

In three weeks the animals should start getting well. If they do not then the problem is not simple mange. You can also use Ivomec paste designed for horses. It comes in a plastic dosing syringe. There is a dial on the syringe handle which allows you to dial the weight of the animal and thereby the dose you give. I believe the smallest dose is 100 pounds. So you will need to divide that dose between three large raccoons.

Dr R Hines DVM PhD

I gave a dab of the paste in a marshmallow every week for the baby raccoons. For the large adults, I mixed the Ivermectin paste in a blender with grape jelly, then divided it up on slices of bread. Everyone looks much better now!

Now we know why this guy lost his license - not only is he encouraging people to do something illegal (feed/medicate wildlife), he's so unfamiliar with the product, he got the dose wrong.

Back
Top Bottom