Which of my two roos is the father of this chick?

eclectic-em

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Idaho
There is probably WAY too much background info here but anyway, maybe it is useful, maybe not. Cute chicken pics either way.

I know that sammie is for sure the hen, it hatched from her egg. sammie is a leghorn x RSL (specifically a Delaware x RIR). she's about 16 months now and molting, her feathers are coming in slightly darker than in these pics. her full sister had much darker feathers and the barring showed through but even sammie's new feathers aren't as dark. pics of her sister below.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.16.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.16.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.28.14 PM.png

sammie, as an adult and as a chick

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.20.49 PM.png

sophie (deceased), same parents as sammie

okay so that's the maternal side, included pics of her sister since they're a mix and have interesting feathering.

Here is the baby. I think it's a pullet, its ~1 month old now with the last picture being the most recent about 2 days ago. She's now got a purple comb which leads me to believe the silkie is the father but the chipmunk pattern has me confused.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.45.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.45.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.45.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.45.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.46.26 PM.png

the chick in question, from just a couple days old up to now, almost 5 weeks

There are two roos in the flock:

George is a 1.5 year old "mystery", at least partially ameraucana since he hatched from a green egg but doesn't have a pea comb, it's another type of small comb so I'm not sure if he even has a single comb gene. I first assumed the chick was his because of the chipmunk pattern but also did not think his offspring could have a single comb. The two other chicks I'm sure are his do not have a single comb. Additionally his comb is red and the chicks is more purple.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.31.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.31.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.28.26 PM.png

george, as a full grown roo and as a chick.

Then we have sal, a silkie but I think he has a pea comb instead of a walnut. I know they're all closely related genetically but still I don't know what his genotype is so I thought it was more likely for his offspring to have a single comb than George's but I'm not sure. What is still convincing me that he could be the father is the dark comb on the chick. Additionally I was told that with silkies the white is recessive so his F1 offspring wouldn't necessarily be white?

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.13.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.13.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.13.57 PM.png

sal, the white silkie with a not walnut comb

Also I know brown leghorn chicks have the chipmunk pattern but I'm not sure if white leghorns also have that but it just doesn't show, so the RSL cross and whatever the father brought to the table is what is showing up, maybe not necessarily the EE since George is also really light colored. Anyway, input is very appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my Maury style chicken drama! Trying to find out who is the baby daddy lol!

Silkies have black skin and extra toes, this chick doesn't. She also has a clear straight comb. Dark feathered birds can have dark combs as chicks, my partridge rocks have the same thing. The silkie is mixed at some point in his background.
I actually have 2 silkie mixes that have normal colored skin one that is from Sal directly and both only have 4 toes. george also doesn’t have a straight comb and neither does his other offspring. george also isn’t a dark feathered bird so i’m not sure where she is getting it from.

Back
Top Bottom