Which of these breeds would you recommend?

Our Australorps are the greatest, and not timid at all! That's so funny, how everyone says they are different. I think it must depend how you raise them. Mine are so friendly and interested in me (or treats, whichever) and would totally follow me right into the house if I let them! Lol. We added the Welsummers two weeks later, and it does seem like they take a back seat to the Australorps generally, and tend to run away moreso than towards me haha but they do tolerate being held and petted, so I wonder how they would be if the Australorps hadn't been there first.

But I digress. Of those listed, I would go Barred Rock, but that said BR are not on my shirt list to add personally.

To the GLW person, great choice! A pro tip I learned is to add all birds of a different breed each year, in three or four year cycles. So that way you know how old everyone is based on breed. I feel like GLW, Australorps, and Welsummers would make a fantastic "black and tan" flock, maybe Black Cooper Marans or something in there too. ;) Right now I have DH sold on blue copper marans, so that will hopefully be our next addition, but we don't plan to add multiple breeds at once, unless we were to cycle back to the Australorp+Welsummer thing in another year or two... (Eta or have a set plan for a couple breeds, but not singles of each all over the place. Too much to remember lol)

A friend of mine started with White Leghorns and ISA Browns. I will say this, she definitely doesn't LOVE her chickens. She finds the Leghorns to be flighty and annoying, but of course many people love them. I think a lot comes down to how they are raised, other flock dynamics, the individual bird and of course, personal preference.

Yes, both Barred Rocks and Leghorns are Heritage breeds.

BR is an abbreviation for Barred Rock.

I keep reading about heritage versus hybrid types. I want chickens that will breed true if I decide to get a rooster. Are Barred Rocks a heritage breed?
If you are getting Leghorns or Barred Rocks from any of the major hatcheries, you’re going to get a bird that’s been bred for egg production. Technically both these breeds are heritage breeds, in that they have been around for a long time, but when a bird is bred for high egg production, you’ll have higher risk of reproductive problems along with it.

If you are getting Leghorns or Barred Rocks from any of the major hatcheries, you’re going to get a bird that’s been bred for egg production. Technically both these breeds are heritage breeds, in that they have been around for a long time, but when a bird is bred for high egg production, you’ll have higher risk of reproductive problems along with it.
This is such an interesting point! For myself, I've been able to do some digging into heritage Dominique's, Dutch SOP Welsummers, SOP Australorps, Sussexes, Wyandottes etc. I can see why you might say that, if a heritage breed is bred by a hatchery, they are not necessarily being bred for the other more nuanced characteristics of the breed... 🤔 Does make you think, whether "hatchery quality" is really just a chicken snob catch phrase, or if non-hatchery stock might actually have better longevity and health overall. Most everyday end users just want eggs, and try to do what's best for the chicken, but I wonder how many are not really getting the hardy "heritage" birds they think they are.

What are your suggestions?

I agree with you chipmunk chip - I have gotten a lot of eggs from hatchery birds. I have lost birds to predators, and am positive if I spend $9 on a chick, that is the one they will take first.

Really you can't go terribly wrong if you just get chicks where you can, raise them up best you can. Some will die, that is a fact of life. I kind of wonder on the snob value too.

Mrs K

I agree with you chipmunk chip - I have gotten a lot of eggs from hatchery birds. I have lost birds to predators, and am positive if I spend $9 on a chick, that is the one they will take first.

Really you can't go terribly wrong if you just get chicks where you can, raise them up best you can. Some will die, that is a fact of life. I kind of wonder on the snob value too.

Mrs K
Hahha True story. My Australorps were maybe 5 for $20 from TSC, plus a Diet Coke for the road. The Welsummers from Cackle were not that expensive per se, but by the time you factor in the small order fee + shipping... I think it did work out to more like $10 or $11 per chick. 🤦 And of course when the fox came, it was two of those expensive girls he took. :( Go figure.

We are considering adding a couple of more chickens to our flock and are considering breeds that are consistent and great layers (good personality is a bonus). These are the ones we are considering:
-Barred Rock
-White Leghorn
-Isa Brown
-Golden Comet

Which would you recommend?

They would be joining a Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Light Brahma, Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex & Black Australorp.
I have Barred Rocks. They have been hardy so far and are friendly. Even in winter I'm consistently getting eggs.....fewer than the Fall but I'm not complaining.

We are considering adding a couple of more chickens to our flock and are considering breeds that are consistent and great layers (good personality is a bonus). These are the ones we are considering:
-Barred Rock
-White Leghorn
-Isa Brown
-Golden Comet

They would be joining a Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Light Brahma, Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex & Black Australorp.
I had great success (eggs) with Rhode Island Reds. The others you mention did OK but weren't prolific layers. I did once get a "Black Star" from McMurray hatchery and she once laid and egg every single day for 91 days in a row!

-Barred Rock
-White Leghorn
-Isa Brown
-Golden Comet

Not the Leghorns!! I ended up rehoming mine because they were too aggressive. I have Barred Rock, Brahmas, Speckled Sussex, and Barnevelders. My barnevelder lays the biggest eggs so far and has a wonderful personality, as do all my others…

Back
Top Bottom