Which one of these is most freindly/ your favorite?

Which one?

• Wyandotte

Votes: 38 7.0%
  • Salmon Faverolle

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 75 13.9%
  • Sultan

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Orpington

Votes: 179 33.1%
  • Australope

Votes: 47 8.7%
  • Sussex

Votes: 30 5.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 36 6.7%
  • Cochin

Votes: 65 12.0%
  • Maran

Votes: 30 5.6%

• Total voters
I have avariety of breeds. My 2 Buff laced Polish are the friendliest. They actually will heel at my feet until I pick them up and then they purr. My Silkies are next, my rooster Pretty Boy especially likes to be held and hand fed. My Ameraucana Patty is next since she hops up on my lap to be fed. All my chickens come running the minute they hear me out in t, If they are in the pen they meet me at the door and holler til I get there. LOL.

I can't vote for any of those, including Orpingtons. My favorite is the Barred Plymouth Rock for being friendly and personable as well as the Delaware.

My Sussex wasn't friendly, my EEs go both ways, Wyandottes were not super friendly, only had a bantam Cochin who is a diva, never had Polish, Marans, Faverolles, Sultans, or Australorps. My BBS Orps are definitely not the friendliest birds, except for my rooster. My hatchery Buff Orps were ok, but my breeder Buff Orps have been friendly and standoffish, depdending on which one you're talking about.

Last edited:
My Buffs always greet me at the door in the morning...but are eager to run through it to the grass beyond my boots. All my biddies (Australorps, Cochin, Polish, Buff Orps, Wyandotte, EE and Welsummers) were raised in a half of a refrigerator box in my laundry room and are accoustomed to being "under foot", however, I LOVE my EEs, Amelia and Speckles best!! They love to remain underfoot in the yard, seek me out for companionship and will hop on my deck and peck the door (even in winter) to get me outside. They perch on our shoulders in the coop and love to sit on the dutch door to see what I am up to. They forage in the yard, are not aggressive to my other birds and are easy to lift off the nest to gather eggs, without fearing a peck to the hand/wrist. They are personable to a fault (and as a bonus, they're reliable layers in beautiful shades of robin's egg blue).
thumbsup.gif
My other birds are beautiful as well, but they can't claim that.

I have several Marans girls and a few of them are real friendly but two of them all same age won't have anything to do with anyone.However they lay the prettiest eggs. Now my Welsummer babies fly on your head, in your lap and follow you all over. very sweet

I like my orps, not only are they friendly to me but they have had about six different sets of 16 week old pullets placed in the coop since I got them five years ago and they never chase or bother the new girls. As each new group is introduced all the older hens, except for the orps, chase them around for several weeks, some like my Brahmas even go looking for the newbies to harrass them. But the orps will give them the evil eye if they get too close and that is it. The newbies get to sit next to them on the roost and drink beside them etc. They never bother with them. They are to dignified to stoop to chasing other chickens. And they are quiet and polite with each other. At times I think I can hear them saying to each other, "no you go through the door first". "no I insist you go first, I will be glad to wait". "nooo I insist you go first I will just wait here a bit". "well ok I will go oohh sorry I see you are going after all, well that's fine go ahead". "no I am terrribly sorry I didn't mean to get us stuck like this half in and half out of the door, gracious me if you can but breath in a little I think I can slip back out". "there now we are somewhat unstuck but which way were we going in or out I have forgotten". "I am not quite certain myself, but either way I insist you go first".
*imagines the obnoxiously polite chipmunks from looney tunes*:lol:

Back
Top Bottom