Which option is better for my chicks and their mama? More sunny or more shade?

ozzy chooks

Songster
Nov 28, 2017
Canberra Australia
Hello,

Recently my broody hatched 6 chicks (so cute! here some pics and videos https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-also-a-very-bossy-hen.1227759/#post-19696320)

I have a question about the best place for their coop (see attached a pic of the coop).

The temperature here is as follow:
  • during the day it can be hot and reach 30 deg C (86F). Today it will be 25 deg C (77F).
  • at night now in Autumn it can get cold usually around 9C (48F). Last night was quite chilly at 5.7C (42F).
Should I rather place the coop in full shade all day or in a warmer spot with the sun shining on?
Will they stand better heat or cold? Keeping in mind the temperatures are only getting lower. My broody is doing a great job :thumbsup.

Thanks for your advice :)

Attachments

• 20180315_073942[1].jpg
    20180315_073942[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
I like to try and give options.

Is there a way you can move it so summer is full shade and winter gets more sun?

If you can set it so the house part has its back to the setting sun they could have morning sun and evening shade.

Good general advice @21hens-incharge, thank you. :thumbsup

I am looking for advice on where to place the coop right now. My bad I should have specified it. :bow
I have another bigger coop for my ladies where all will go when they chicks grow up and ready to be introduce to the flock. And there they will be free range and have sunny spots and shades under trees. The coop is temporary to protect the chicks from any possible bossy hen.

A spot that gets sun in the early morning or early evening (I.e. Not in the hottest hours of the day) would be perfect. They do love a bit of sun but highs of 30c will be a bit tough on them, whereas lows of 5 at night are fine.

Good general advice @21hens-incharge, thank you. :thumbsup

I am looking for advice on where to place the coop right now. My bad I should have specified it. :bow
I have another bigger coop for my ladies where all will go when they chicks grow up and ready to be introduce to the flock. And there they will be free range and have sunny spots and shades under trees. The coop is temporary to protect the chicks from any possible bossy hen.

Ah that makes sense now.

Yes shade or part shade is easier on them then blazing sun.

Back
Top Bottom