Which Orp roos to keep

I see this morning Katy that about the #8 cockerals eyes it was kinda late last night and still staring at a screen!...lol... but boy the rest of him really screams typey orp...I'm not sure I could give him up just because eye color...

Here is a article that talks about the light eyes. I had a few and was going to use them from breeding till I started doing more research on genetics. another thing I noticed in chicks I have had is yellow skin, I was told not to keep one of those because a yellow skin bird does not carry the white skinned gene. Just trying to help
smile.png

3866_page39a.jpg

I don't really no much about orps, but I know a pretty chicken when I see one. I also didn't read everybodies responce, but based just on beauty, I'd have to say #5 and #8

I completely agree on the yellow skin. I would not use one with yellow skin. And if you are choosing them now, I'd also not necessarily keep the light eyed boy. They do not always pass on to the offspring, but you will get some like that on occasion. Although Suede's eyes are too light, I chose him from his brothers-one was extremely dark blue with a droopy eye and one was splash. It was either keep Suede or not get a start in the breed at that time. He isn't perfect, but paired with his very typey ladies, he has produced some wonderful, even show-winning, offspring.

Quote:
I'm not sure...right now I only have 6 pullets that are anywhere near getting ready to lay so I'm going to have to do a bachelor pen for the extra ones I decide to keep. I'd keep them all if I had pen space and a unlimited feed budget!!

Quote:
I'm not sure...right now I only have 6 pullets that are anywhere near getting ready to lay so I'm going to have to do a bachelor pen for the extra ones I decide to keep. I'd keep them all if I had pen space and a unlimited feed budget!!

You sound like me I have about the same amount of roos as I do pullets LOL. I made some bachelor pens in hope to let them grow out more. I just culled the obvious ones with lack of body type and other defects.

Back
Top Bottom