Which probiotics for chicks??

ElaynasChick

Songster
Sep 30, 2019
Washington
Hello BYC fam!! i am getting chicks and i was wondering which probiotics and electrolytes to get i could ether get the Save-A-Chick electrolytes packets and Save-A-Chick Probiotics and maybe mix both in the water? or the Chick Boost probiotics this one has both electrolytes and probiotics and vitamins and all that stuff all in the same bag (it comes in like a brown and white bag if your wondering) which one should i get? i am leaning a little bit more towards the Chick Boost but let me know what you guys think, and how long should i give it to them the chick boost comes in a larger bag so should i give it to them until they are adults?

Natural probiotics in fermented chick feed is how I start off my chicks. This past April, I brought six baby chicks home from the feed store and the first thing they got was a tiny cup of fermented feed. They went for it with gusto, and they are still eating fermented feed now that they are laying. It maximizes the nutrients in the feed and supports healthy chickens for a long life. My oldest hen is eleven. My seven-year olds still lay regularly.

Natural probiotics in fermented chick feed is how I start off my chicks. This past April, I brought six baby chicks home from the feed store and the first thing they got was a tiny cup of fermented feed. They went for it with gusto, and they are still eating fermented feed now that they are laying. It maximizes the nutrients in the feed and supports healthy chickens for a long life. My oldest hen is eleven. My seven-year olds still lay regularly.
Wow that is amazing

Hello- I have a related question. i bought a commercial chick grit with probiotics made by MannaPro and their packaging includes a guaranteed analysis of microorganisms: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus foecium, Pediococcus acidilactici, Lactobacillus brevis, and Lactobacillus plantarum. live microorganisms. My question is is Enterococcus foecium beneficial for chicks? For that matter are any of the Lactobacilli listed? Many thanks!

Yes, it's very good for the intestines of chicks. It helps them utilize nutrients more efficiently for proper growth.

All of those good enzymes are naturally present in fermented feed. You could save your money by fermenting the chick feed.

azygous - Hi - Thank you very much for responding!
The only info I found online was at the Merck Veterinary Manual which states both:
1) "Enterococcus spp isolated from birds with clinical disease include E avium, E cecorum,E durans, E faecalis, E faecium, and E hirae. E faecalis affects birds of all ages, but infection is especially devastating for embryos and young chicks."
and,
2) "Although enterococcosis has been reported in poultry species, it should also be noted that some strains of Enterococcus have a beneficial effect on growth and feed efficiency and are used as probiotics."
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/enterococcosis/enterococcosis-in-poultry
Unfortunately, this contradiction brought me back to square one with the question.

We are raising these chicks in an area where temperatures are on the rise and Im very concerned about proliferating virulent pathogens in this new normal, especially anything that could affect my older chickens, kitties or kids.
I have concerns also about the correlation between the fermented chick feed and associated sour crop that 's been reported.
Im hoping you can share for how long and how many chicks you've enjoyed success with this - and also does anyone happen to know if all starter feeds have grit?
Thank you for your response.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/enterococcosis/enterococcosis-in-poultry

Let's see. I've been raising chickens for a bit over twelve years. I've been feeding fermented feed for perhaps eight years. I've never had any health issues related to the feed, never had it go moldy or bad.

In fact, I've had tremendously good results from it as evidenced by the number of healthy "old" hens in my flock (four between the ages of eight and eleven years), and the number of hens laying regularly beyond age six.

This is all in spite of having a serious avian virus in my flock from the beginning.

I've never bought any chick feed that included grit. I wouldn't. It's not necessary.

Hey guys!! i just got the Chick boost probiotics and i am wondering how long should i use it for its a pretty big bag for probiotics so should i put it in there water every day until it is gone? or what. it's a 8oz bag. and it makes 22.5 gallons of water, 10 grams of the powder to a gallon of water.
IMG_8058.JPG
IMG_8057.JPG

Back
Top Bottom