Which roos should I keep?

Comet Mum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 29, 2008
Oxford, NC
I currently have an assortment of hatchery stock, which will not be used for breeding. I do free range and would like to keep a couple of roos for flock protection. I have 3 LF roos and 3 bantam roos along with 19 LF pullets and 2 bantam pullets all sharing one coop. I figured I would keep 2 LF roos and one bantam.

1. Does that seem like a good ratio to you?

I think I have figured out what to do with the bantams, my biggest question is what to do with the LF. I have one cuckoo marans roo that matured first, is gentle with the girls and has shown to be a good flock protector, so he is a keeper. The other two LF are both BO, which were packing peanuts. One is low on the pecking order and is rarely able to breed, the other is more assertive and is challenging the marans for top roo.

2. Should I keep the CM and the calm BO or the CM and the dominant BO? Am I right in assuming if I get rid of the dominant BO that the calm one's personality is likely to change, becoming more assertive?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You already know that the dominant BO shows the potential for causing trouble; therefore, get rid of him. It is possible that the more submissive BO may eventually challenge the dominant rooster. If that happens you can adress the situation at that point.

Thank you all for your opinions. I suspected that getting rid of the more dominant BO was the way to go, but it is good to have it confirmed.

Mr. Chicken, the bantam roos are 2 x silkies and 1 x RIR (freebee) I have 2 silkie pullets. I plan to keep 1 silkie roo. So far, the personalities are pleasant, so I'm gonna wait a while to see if a "bad apple" can be identified. One has kind of funky looking toes, so unless the other one becomes obnoxious, 'funky toes' is going.

Back
Top Bottom