Which Roos to Keep?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JOA Farms, Sep 2, 2013.

1. JOA Farms

JOA Farms Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Now that my baby flock is growing up, I need to decide which Roos to keep and which to let go. I have my Tolbunt Polish who will stay for nothing more than comedic relief. But for breeding, I need to make some choices. I have 2 Ameraucana rooster (supposed to have all been pullets). One is mostly white and one is grey and red. Both beautiful birds. I'm leaning towards keeping the white because I have a nicely matched hen. Most of my Ameraucanas are mostly red. Some have a grey underneath.
    I also have a roo that I believe is a black sex link. What would he cross well with? Or should I even bother with him?
    I think I got lucky with the silkies I have. Pretty sure I have a pair of blacks and a pair of whites. Should I keep them segregated or put them all together?

As far as my lavender aruacanas, I'm not sure if I have any Roos yet but was told they cross best on a cuckoo aruacana so may need to find one of those.

Rest of my hens are mostly golden comets, barred rocks and Ameraucanas. Got one Cochin, one buff Orpington and a couple RIRs.

I'll go get some pics of the boys

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What are your goals? What do you hope to achieve from these matings?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    I would keep Ameraucanas, as they lay Fairly well

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

5. JOA Farms

JOA Farms Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    I want to create colorful egg layers. Pretty birds that are functional lol. I think I also have a FBC Maran roo too. Everyone is free range right now except my silkies and lavenders but the only roo I have at breeding age is my Polish and we are eating all the eggs from the few hens that are laying age right now. Cochin, buff orphington, couple golden comets, RIR.

Here's my 2 Ameraucanas.
    This is the one I call "snowy"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's my grey/red roo. He's not as sociable so harder to get pics of
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's the one that I'm pretty sure is a black sexlink
    [​IMG]

And for fun, some of my girls
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my lavenders
    [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Of your ameraucanas, I think your lavenders are the only ones that aren't Easter Eggers. The one with the single comb is unlikely to have the blue egg gene (of course since he is a male, you can't tell for sure). You could test breed him to white laying hens and if any of their offspring lay blue eggs, you will know that he does, but do you really want to do that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by