which rooster should I choose?

wcarlock

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 18, 2012
I have 5 golden comets hens, I get eggs every day even in the winter (at least 2-4). I would like to get a rooster,should I try to find a golden comet rooster or could you recommend a different breed that would compliment my flock?

Depends on what you want him for... breeding, protection, or just eye candy? I just selected a roo for my mixed laying flock, I did a little research and decided on a Dorking because I liked the temperament and it is an ancient breed with good instincts. I also chose him, ...ahem, for his looks. There are so many handsome fellas out there to choose from. My only caveat would be to stay away from a roo that is enormous with small hens, ie a jersey giant. Good luck!

There's a couple ways to go when breeding red sex links. They don't breed true, since they are mutts, but you'll get the most consistent looking chicks if you put a red rooster over them. Most of the chicks will be reddish, some with mixes of white feathering and then you'll get the occasional white chick with black spots or white to a few red spots.

The most consistent would be a red. However, you could use just about any rooster, if you don't care. Using a Sex Link male will not assure you of uniform chicks. In fact, you'll get a real mix of things, but a lot of white.

Is a red rooster a Rhode island red? And will the pullets be good layers? Thank you for your help

The offspring inherit the egg laying ability of their parents. Yes, they'd be very good layers. A New Hampshire would also be a nice choice, as well as the RIR.

If you were closer, you could on over and I'd give you one, or two, or three.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom