Which rooster should I get?

What_TheDuck

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
Central California
Hi. I've been doing some research on what rooster to get for our flock but I wanted some input. We have an all-female flock of 18 hens and wanted to merge the chicken and the duck pens together (one drake and one duck). We also are having a problem with foxes in the backyard, although all the birds are protected. I wanted one rooster that is very nice to the ladies and docile to the ducks, while not crowing super loud like most roosters love to do. Leaning towards Polish or Orpington, but not sure yet. Any suggestions? Feel free to help me out in the thread.

Hi. I've been doing some research on what rooster to get for our flock but I wanted some input. We have an all-female flock of 18 hens and wanted to merge the chicken and the duck pens together (one drake and one duck). We also are having a problem with foxes in the backyard, although all the birds are protected. I wanted one rooster that is very nice to the ladies and docile to the ducks, while not crowing super loud like most roosters love to do. Leaning towards Polish or Orpington, but not sure yet. Any suggestions? Feel free to help me out in the thread.
Well, all chickens have their own personality. You could get an Orpington that's the devil. I've always had luck with silkies but then again ALL chickens have their own personality.

Well, all chickens have their own personality. You could get an Orpington that's the devil. I've always had luck with silkies but then again ALL chickens have their own personality.
The place that I normally order from does have straight run bantams, like silkies. So I could order those with a chance at some hens as well :) Are yours docile to the ladies/keeper?

Back
Top Bottom