Which Rooster to keep?

ColeJ

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2021
Hi all,
I hatched out these fellas from eggs a neighbor gave me, she has no idea what breed they are and honestly I don't have a clue either. I need to send a few to freezer camp this summer but having a hard time deciding which ones. Looking for suggestions on which one to keep as good breeder/genetic traits you would desire.
Rooster (7)_LI.jpg
Rooster (1)_LI.jpg
Rooster (3)_LI.jpg
Rooster (4)_LI.jpg

Hi all,
I hatched out these fellas from eggs a neighbor gave me, she has no idea what breed they are and honestly I don't have a clue either. I need to send a few to freezer camp this summer but having a hard time deciding which ones. Looking for suggestions on which one to keep as good breeder/genetic traits you would desire.View attachment 2764389View attachment 2764392View attachment 2764393View attachment 2764390
I'd keep #3 or #4, those a Easter Eggers, any hens you get from theses Roos will lay blue or green eggs.

Rooster #1 looks like an Australorp, for the others I'm not sure. Can you give a more clear description of their behaving, behavior, also don't forget to ask the your ladies for suggestions!
#5 is the only one who "sometimes" gives the hens a heads-up before mounting them, the others just ambush as they please.
#6 is similar in markings to #5 but a bit more aggressive to the hens.
#1 has thick legs/good bone structure but is a bully to the hens and other Roos
#2 is an awesome red color, but that weird comb and skinny legs makes me hesitant of his genetics
#3&4 I'm not really sure about these two, bullies to the hens but wimps when challenged by the other roos

Based on looks I like 2 & 3 the best (they’re gorgeous), but if it were me I’d pick the 2 least human & hen aggressive. Their genetics will help w the next group of Roos being gentler too.

Based on looks I like 2 & 3 the best (they’re gorgeous), but if it were me I’d pick the 2 least human & hen aggressive. Their genetics will help w the next group of Roos being gentler too.
That was my thinking to keep the "gentleman" of the bunch but not seen much of that from any of them. only #5 has even tried to courtship dance. I'm thinking because there are 10 Roos and only 6 hens that if I thin them out and lower the ratio their personalities make show better - your thoughts on that theory?

Depends on what your goals are for breeding. The EEs may not be carrying blue egg genetics, though it is likely. One of your boys looks like a black copper Marans or Marans mix.
Agree keep the one that is nicest to you and your girls. It does take awhile for young cockerels to learn proper manners with the ladies. Some may not even be trying if the dominant male is not letting them. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom