Which Sand for Run?

ZANEYchickenguy

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
Last edited:
If you are choosing between those 2, then go with the All-purpose. It states that it is the course type. That is the type of sand I use, and would recommend. I get mine bulk from the building supply that deals in concrete, and masonry supplies. (Ready Mix Concrete Place)
Yours is somewhat pricey, but that is the way stores make money. When you need it by the bag, it will be pricey.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

If you are choosing between those 2, then go with the All-purpose. It states that it is the course type. That is the type of sand I use, and would recommend. I get mine bulk from the building supply that deals in concrete, and masonry supplies. (Ready Mix Concrete Place)
Yours is somewhat pricey, but that is the way stores make money. When you need it by the bag, it will be pricey.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank You!

I am finally going to buy sand for my chicken run, though I don't know what type to get. I only have two types available near me. Play sand and All-purpose sand. We do have traction sand but it says it is not kiln dry and they recommended not to use in with chickens.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sakrete-50-lb-All-purpose-Sand/1000489239

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sakrete-50-lb-Play-Sand-Sand/3055675

Thank you from now!
I buy sand from a sand a gravel business or from a landscaping materials supply. It is course enough to not be dusty and at a fraction of the price from a hardware or a home improvement store. Either I can get it myself or have a lot delivered and dumped on my property

All purpose sand is best.
One of the reviews on the all purpose sand is from a person that bought it for their chicken’s run. That person gave it 5 stars out of 5.

Natural, washed, coarse grain river sand from your local quarry. Don’t bother with the bags, it’s too fine and too dusty. We buy it by the 14-ton dump truck load (delivered), but our local quarries also sell it by the pickup truck load. Whatever natural sand you buy should have a variety of sizes of grains. It should look like this:

AFE7E627-D6FE-4BEB-9723-C58352CD56D0.jpeg

Natural, washed, coarse grain river sand from your local quarry. Don’t bother with the bags, it’s too fine and too dusty. We buy it by the 14-ton dump truck load (delivered), but our local quarries also sell it by the pickup truck load. Whatever natural sand you buy should have a variety of sizes of grains. It should look like this:

View attachment 2726585
What are the options when there is no quarry near your area :idunno

My only option is Concrete grade sand from cement yard..

What are the options when there is no quarry near your area :idunno

My only option is Concrete grade sand from cement yard..
You’re in Cook County, right? I just did a quick google search and there should be plenty of places that have sand and gravel. You could also call a couple of local landscapers and ask for recommendations. Let me know if I can help. 👍🏻👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom