While the cat's away

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CarolJ, Jul 2, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    So I'm out of town for the first time since I got my chickens - and I'm sitting here wondering if my husband is taking good care of them. I actually wrote out directions for him. Awhile ago when I mentioned, yet again, that I hoped the chickens were doing okay while I'm gone, my sister just shook her head at me. :)

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I have learned to call and nag my dh twice a day while I'm out of town...otherwise chickens get forgotten [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  3. CarolJ

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I hear you... I wrote the note, and then talked to him on the phone to make sure he secures them for the night. I'm sure they'll be fine. but still ...

4. CarolJ

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Got home. All the chickens are safe. However, I found out the friend who fed them on Monday put the chicken feed in the cat's bowl. (I know this because it's still in the cat's bowl - the cat wouldn't eat it!) He put the chickens' water in the chickens' feed container. I have no idea if he gave the chickens any food or not. However, since they had water in the feed container, they survived and seem to be doing just fine.

We will get someone else to take care of them next time we go out of town. Although I wrote down detailed directions for my husband for Saturday and Sunday, I counted on him to give good directions to the friend who handled Monday. Lesson learned - and thank goodness all my chickens are okay.

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    LOL! Glad they are ok! I just left for the first time after getting chickens and they are just about to lay! Every time I called home, I asked about the chickens first then the fam...hehehe Oh well!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm the type that leaves lots of big notes attached to things (of course chickens would peck them off). ie; this is chicken feed., Chicken feed goes in THIS feeder.

Water goes in THIS, keep filled. People yell at me and say they aren't stupid. But the signs help them if they aren't chicken people.

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:O my goodness... LOL.. the cat must have been irritated with that! LOL...sheesh...if ya want somethin' done right......glad all is ok!

8. jaimepowell

jaimepowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Wellsville
    Glad to hear I'm not alone! I just started letting ours free range and my husband told me I was worse than I was with our kids when they were newborns. We leave a lot for the weekends for the lake and they are the last thing I check on when I leave and the first thing I check on before I even take anything in the house--they also come with a long list of how to take care of them that is taped up in the garage for whoever comes to check on them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by