White blob layed by a female

MichelleKing

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
Ohio
*****UPDATE***********

I am declaring myself officially the biggest idiot of the day.

There was no lash egg at all. It was the ROOT OF THE HEAD OF A LETTUCE. I cut it open and then compared it to another lettuce head that was in my trash. Yep. A knawed up lump of lettuce root.

Thank you all for humoring me and my blunder today.

I have 6 week old hens and 10 week old hens and I think one of them is laying something weird. I found a full egg membrane with nothing in it on the cage floor the other day. This morning, I found a huge white blob that was hardened in thehabitat. It looked like whipped egg whites that had hardened. Just smaller than a golf ball. Did one of my girls lay this and if so, whats wrong with her if anything? Has anyone seen this before? I've seen a soft shell egg layed and that was fine but this was like alien or something.

DIET Available 24/7
Vitamin water (Nutridench diluted)
Gamebird crumbles

SUPPLEMENT Available 24/7
Crushed oyster shells

TREATS - Once a day
Mealworms - 1/2 cup per 14 hens
Sesame seeds
Chia Seeds
Flax Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds
Sunflower Seeds
Organic home grown wheat grass

No other food or drink other than whats listed above.

Last edited:
Is the hen that laid the egg a quail? if so that is one huge lash egg. here is a thread i started describing treatments https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-this-in-my-eggbox.1278680/

Thank you thank you thank you thank you. When you said it sounded big for a quail hen I 100% agreed with you. So then I investigated more....

I am officially declaring myself the biggest idiot on planet earth. It was not a lash egg and theres nothing wrong with my 6 week and 10 week old hens. Do you know what the "lash egg" was?

THE ROOT OF A HEAD OF LETTUCE. I cut it open, smelled it, and confirmed it. I'm so embarrassed right now I can't even.

Thank you for giving me a clue that helped me figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom