White Broad breasted hen making a nest for her eggs

lhbisbee

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Leicester, Vermont
I have a white broad breasted hen who has made a nest in her coop and has two eggs in it. She has taken all the feathers off of her chest and stomach and has some of those in her nest. We have a bronze broad breasted tom. I understand they are not able to mate naturally, but we did see them mate one time this spring. She laid down low to the ground and spread her wings, made herself flat and he mounted her and it certainly looked like they were mating. So, I guess there's a chance these eggs may be fertile.

Our turkeys free range and we give them very little food, so both are just over a year old now. They both are able to walk without panting and make it around all over the pasture.

It is not our intent to raise turkeys, but I would enjoy the experience of seeing her raise some babies and then we could sell them.

I have tried to locate information on what to do for her----do we need to give her anything special or is her own nest fine? How many eggs would she put into the clutch? Do we need to separate the tom from her at night now?--they both free range during the day as I said.

Any help would be appreciated or if you know of a link that tells about the hen raising her own babies--please pass on. Thanks!

Possible, not very probable. However, she'll go broody when she's laid enough (reaches `magic' number). Main thing to take into account is wt., make sure she has a LOT of straw/wood chips/sand under her nest. These girls can be bred, successfully, to heritage toms - but break their eggs more often than heritage hens. There are plenty of threads on brooding turkey hens (advanced search is very good).

Please let us know what happens, I'd be interesting in the outcome.

One member placed the eggs under a chicken hen (owing to wt.): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/464525/keeping-a-broad-breasted-bronze-turkey-as-a-pet

Last edited:
I will keep you posted; thanks. Someone suggested a tire for her nest. We got her one and she has put her feathers and straw in it. She has laid three more eggs. She doesn't stay on them all day, but goes back to nest in the afternoon and stays. She doesn't weigh too much -- maybe 20 lbs? We've separated the tom from her since he seems to get excited at seeing her on the nest.

I will keep you posted; thanks. Someone suggested a tire for her nest. We got her one and she has put her feathers and straw in it. She has laid three more eggs. She doesn't stay on them all day, but goes back to nest in the afternoon and stays. She doesn't weigh too much -- maybe 20 lbs? We've separated the tom from her since he seems to get excited at seeing her on the nest.
Just an update---So, Louise

is staying on her nest all day now. She only has 3 eggs, but she seems to want to stay on them. We did get her an 18" tire and it does make a perfect nest!

Just an update---So, Louise

is staying on her nest all day now. She only has 3 eggs, but she seems to want to stay on them. We did get her an 18" tire and it does make a perfect nest!
Nice picture, so cute!! I would be interested to know what happens too. I was thinking about trying to breed a BBB hen to a Narragansett next year. It will be interesting to see if you have kept yours healthy enough and managed weight that they could breed naturally. She doesn't look too big to me for a year considering they usually are butchered around 20-24 weeks. Good luck!!

Nice picture, so cute!! I would be interested to know what happens too. I was thinking about trying to breed a BBB hen to a Narragansett next year. It will be interesting to see if you have kept yours healthy enough and managed weight that they could breed naturally. She doesn't look too big to me for a year considering they usually are butchered around 20-24 weeks. Good luck!!
Poor Louise. She gets off of the nest only a few minutes a day to take a dirt bath and nose around, but she has still managed to break two of her eggs. Actually, I think one of our sheep got in there and broke one. She has been so vigilant, though, I hate for her not to have a turkey hatch--which, really--from the time she and Lester did the deed---how long after that can it be when she lays an egg? It had been a while, so I doubt there's a turkey. We did put a few chicken eggs under her, though, and she hasn't broken them! Still, if she doesn't have one this year--maybe next? Here's a picture of Lesterhasn't broken them! Still, if she doesn't have one this year--maybe next?Here's Lester

Poor Louise. She gets off of the nest only a few minutes a day to take a dirt bath and nose around, but she has still managed to break two of her eggs. Actually, I think one of our sheep got in there and broke one. She has been so vigilant, though, I hate for her not to have a turkey hatch--which, really--from the time she and Lester did the deed---how long after that can it be when she lays an egg? It had been a while, so I doubt there's a turkey. We did put a few chicken eggs under her, though, and she hasn't broken them! Still, if she doesn't have one this year--maybe next? Here's a picture of Lesterhasn't broken them! Still, if she doesn't have one this year--maybe next?Here's Lester
I think I have heard people say as long as a month. Maybe someone else can be more precise as I am new to turkeys.

I did find out that it is up to a month that the egg laid can still be fertile. So, guess there's a chance that Louise is sitting on only --one left--turkey. I have also learned that the reason she didn't lay too many eggs was because this was her first time and she's still young. But, we're still watching her and she's still sitting on her nest, so we'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom