White chick from 2 barred rock parents

youngwildfreefamilyfarm

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2021
Hello,

I just got my first hatch from a batch of hatchery barred rocks. I know that the coloration is not perfect on some of my hens and on my roosters. Today when my eggs hatched there is a completely white chick which was very unexpected. Can anyone tell me what could have caused this so that I can mitigate this in the future. Or possibly breed for it?

I have included some examples from my flock. Both roosters that could have fathered the white chick look like the one pictured. They are too white to be true barred rocks but do have some barring as well as some green feathers in tail and some cinnamoj

Attachments

• BA09BC7B-D5E3-4696-A985-53EF29B35B2C.jpeg
    BA09BC7B-D5E3-4696-A985-53EF29B35B2C.jpeg
    632.8 KB · Views: 63
  • E3F9A706-A7DD-46C1-8DAD-C390EA0F0C63.jpeg
    E3F9A706-A7DD-46C1-8DAD-C390EA0F0C63.jpeg
    766.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 5B18F846-C115-40FF-A3B0-3D73FDF92DA9.jpeg
    5B18F846-C115-40FF-A3B0-3D73FDF92DA9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Hello,

I just got my first hatch from a batch of hatchery barred rocks. I know that the coloration is not perfect on some of my hens and on my roosters. Today when my eggs hatched there is a completely white chick which was very unexpected. Can anyone tell me what could have caused this so that I can mitigate this in the future. Or possibly breed for it?

I have included some examples from my flock. Both roosters that could have fathered the white chick look like the one pictured. They are too white to be true barred rocks but do have some barring as well as some green feathers in tail and some cinnamoj
The rooster in the last photo looks like a sex link!
I don't know much about genetics, but I do know someone who does!
@MysteryChicken? He/she has always been able to help me out in times of need!

The rooster in the last photo looks like a sex link!
I don't know much about genetics, but I do know someone who does!
@MysteryChicken? He/she has always been able to help me out in times of need!
Thank you so much! I know only that barring can create sex linking. In barred rock chicks (true for my hatchery chicks that are the parents of my new hatch) the ones with a lot of white on the head were Roos. I did also have 3 from that same batch that were Roos and were barred just like the hens, but they were not light enough to be proper barred rock Roos

Thank you so much! I know only that barring can create sex linking. In barred rock chicks (true for my hatchery chicks that are the parents of my new hatch) the ones with a lot of white on the head were Roos. I did also have 3 from that same batch that were Roos and were barred just like the hens, but they were not light enough to be proper barred rock Roos
Wow!

I haven't ever done any pure breeding, so I wouldn't know much, we have just ended up with Barnyard mixes over the years, but I want to do selective breeding once our flock number goes down from 50+.

Wow!

I haven't ever done any pure breeding, so I wouldn't know much, we have just ended up with Barnyard mixes over the years, but I want to do selective breeding once our flock number goes down from 50+.
I got some wyondotte hens to do barnyard mixes but I love the idea of creating purebred barred rocks and selecting for correct color and form, so I certainly need to sort this out. I would love to have that many chickens :)

I got some wyondotte hens to do barnyard mixes but I love the idea of creating purebred barred rocks and selecting for correct color and form, so I certainly need to sort this out. I would love to have that many chickens :)
I love the wyandottes!
I was supposed to get a Blue laced red this year, but the feed store sold me a blue laced gold! But I am not bothered by it! She would still give off pretty babies, I plan to breed her to my Bantam Cochin and LF Buff Brahma crossed cockerel!

Thank you! But that many can be real work to keep up!

I love the wyandottes!
I was supposed to get a Blue laced red this year, but the feed store sold me a blue laced gold! But I am not bothered by it! She would still give off pretty babies, I plan to breed her to my Bantam Cochin and LF Buff Brahma crossed cockerel!

Thank you! But that many can be real work to keep up!
I got a mix, I know I have 4 Colombian but the others I’m not sure of yet. I don’t intend to breed them for specific colors but it will be fun to breed them and see what I get. Chicken genetics are so fascinating!
What colorations are you expecting from that mix?

I got a mix, I know I have 4 Colombian but the others I’m not sure of yet. I don’t intend to breed them for specific colors but it will be fun to breed them and see what I get. Chicken genetics are so fascinating!
What colorations are you expecting from that mix?
Wow! Sounds like a good mix! I love the Columbian!

I dont know, but here is my sunshine, Bootsie!
3745754F-FE29-4AAC-81AE-83003745E240.jpeg

(He is my baby, that is why I call him my sunshine)
The BLG is still a little pullet, she has a long way to go before I can breed her!

Wow! Sounds like a good mix! I love the Columbian!

I dont know, but here is my sunshine, Bootsie!View attachment 2732332
(He is my baby, that is why I call him my sunshine)
The BLG is still a little pullet, she has a long way to go before I can breed her!
He is so beautiful! Can I see a picture of your pullet? I’ll take pictures of mine tomorrow. I’m hopeful I get a BLG or BLR in my batch because I really want at least one.

Back
Top Bottom