White chick from 2 barred rock parents

Hello,

I just got my first hatch from a batch of hatchery barred rocks. I know that the coloration is not perfect on some of my hens and on my roosters. Today when my eggs hatched there is a completely white chick which was very unexpected. Can anyone tell me what could have caused this so that I can mitigate this in the future. Or possibly breed for it?

I have included some examples from my flock. Both roosters that could have fathered the white chick look like the one pictured. They are too white to be true barred rocks but do have some barring as well as some green feathers in tail and some cinnamoj
Do you have more pictures of the roosters and the “incorrect” hens? It’s very likely that they’re actually barred rock mixes, such as black sex links or buff barred rocks.

A Purebred Rock Rooster should look like this.
20210404_090908.jpg

I believe they had Black Sex Link Roosters mixed in with Barred Rock pullets.

I can wait, on the chick, I'm patient.

Not sure what you mean, by mixes being more present in roosters?
Sorry, that wasn’t very clear. In the batch of chicks that I got (original 20 that are parents to my new hatch including white chick) would the odd coloring be more present in the roosters. Most hens look pretty typical to barred rocks while the roosters don’t. Can I expect this in the future? I’ll take a photo of all my new hatched chicks tomorrow including the white one.

Sorry, that wasn’t very clear. In the batch of chicks that I got (original 20 that are parents to my new hatch including white chick) would the odd coloring be more present in the roosters. Most hens look pretty typical to barred rocks while the roosters don’t. Can I expect this in the future? I’ll take a photo of all my new hatched chicks tomorrow including the white one.
Since your rooster is mixed, the future offspring will also be mixes, & will produce odd colors.

Do you have more pictures of the roosters and the “incorrect” hens? It’s very likely that they’re actually barred rock mixes, such as black sex links or buff barred rocks.
I don’t but I will get pictures of each individual bird tomorrow. I am hoping to be able to selectively breed out the incorrect traits as I want to have a flock of correct barred rocks.

Yes, that’s what I WANT my barred rock roosters to look like. Ideally I want to know what I have so that I can try to selectively breed out the traits that are “wrong” in barred rocks. I don’t know if that is even possible but it’s the goal.
He's a Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock from Meyer's Hatchery.

You can attempt to breed pure from mixes. Only use the correct traits of the particular breed, & best looking. This will take some time, & possible several years of breeding for traits, & corrections.

I'm taking hatchery Orpingtons, & Breeding towards SOP, difficult, but possible.

You can attempt to breed pure from mixes. Only use the correct traits of the particular breed, & best looking. This will take some time, & possible several years of breeding for traits, & corrections.

I'm taking hatchery Orpingtons, & Breeding towards SOP, difficult, but possible.
I love a good challenge and I love the barred rock breed so I am happy to do it.

I’m thinking of purchasing a heritage Plymouth barred rock from Meyer’s and then use him to selectively correct my hens. I am not fond of my current rooster so I wouldn’t miss him and I could add some correct hens and then over time breed out the mixes. What is SOP?

Back
Top Bottom