White Cochin with diarrhea. Need help identifying illness.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leslie_C, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Leslie_C

Leslie_C In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2018
    Hi all,
    I have a 9 month old white Cochin that has diarrhea for over a week now. She refused to eat her feed but does drink water on her own. I have tried apple cider vinegar in water, giving her Epsom salt bath and manually feeding her mashed egg, ground up feed and yogurt. It has been over a week and she still has water stool. Any help in identifying what's wrong with her and recommened treatment are greatly appreciated.
    I lost a 9 month old blue wyndotte early this week after having diarrhea for over 3 weeks. The vet did not find anything wrong with her and found no parasites in her fecal sample. She died two weeks later.
    Attached is the latest fecal sample of the white Cochin. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    have you tried giving her wet feed?

Leslie_C likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How does her crop feel, and is it empty in early morning? Will she eat some cooked egg?

Even if the vet found no evidence of parasites, I would be getting some Corid (amprollium) and treating everyone for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp or 10 ml of liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp of Corid powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Give any sick birds 2-3 drops twice a day of the undiluted Corid, and make sure all drink the water. The treated water can also be used in wetting the chicken feed to eat.

If you lose the sick bird, I would refrigerate the body and send it in to your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy. Sorry for your loss. I hope we can help you figure out what is going on.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Sounds gross but could you take a picture of the poop?
    Did the Vet test for Cocc

2x Eggcessive, she posted before I finished ;)

Leslie_C and Eggcessive like this.
  5. Grits&Eggs

Grits&Eggs Songster

Apr 16, 2018
    Florida
    My Coop
    maybe make a mash with her pellets/crumbles? mine get diarrhea from yogurt and too much egg treats.

Leslie_C and ChickNanny13 like this.
  6. Leslie_C

Leslie_C In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2018
    Thank you all for your quick response. The vet only said she'd test for parasites and no mention of coccidiosis test. I do have Corid on hand and will start treating them tomorrow as they all turned in. The Cochin is isolated in a separate cage inside the house.
    As for the feed, I used the organic layer crumbles they normally eat and ground them up to mix with egg and yogurt. I have not tried wet feed.

TropicalBabies and townchicks like this.
  7. Leslie_C

Leslie_C In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2018
    Also, she would not eat anything put in front of her including eggs, except wheat bread crumbs, which she would peck some but not much.

TropicalBabies likes this.
  8. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Since the cochin is in the house with you, you could give her a dose of corid straight to her mouth tonight.

TropicalBabies and Leslie_C like this.
  9. Leslie_C

Leslie_C In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks Townchicks. I just gave Snowie (our white Cochin) 3 drops of undiluted Corid. Hope she feels better in the morning.

townchicks likes this.
  10. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Just for now how about you cut out the yogurt. Chickens like people can be more lactose intolerant than others. With diarrhea it might be doing more harm than good.
    Bland protein would be good. Cook her some chicken. Seriously. See if she’ll take it.

townchicks, ChickNanny13 and Leslie_C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: