White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

OK, here is what I have. The first is what I am calling chipmunk. it is feathering out as expected.
Cornish chipmunk.jpg

The next one is the strange one that I called a swirl. Now I wish I had taken a pic a week ago on this one. I will not cull this just yet, maybe not at all. We will see.
Cornish swirl chick.jpg

Cornis swirl 2.jpg

The white chicks are feathering out as expected.

@Sandy_01

Welcome to the surprises of the world of LFW Cornish. Lol.

Many LFW breeders have used different varieties and even different breeds to build up pump up the framework of the LFWs. This 'surprise' can be supressed in a heterozygous recessive state for many, Many, MANY generation andc and then out of the blue it will show up leaving you scratching your head in bewilderment. Here is a pic of one of my surprises. Most likely from a WLR Cornish. I hatched 400 cornish this year and had this one bizarre fella show up. I regret culling it. Out of curiosity if i ever get another one i will let it grow out. View attachment 1968012

When it comes to white there is the recessive white, dominate white and the expression of the silver gene. I don't know how to tell which is which by looking at them. What i know is that when the silver gene is present it is expressed as black ticking here and there in the feathering. When a LFW has the silver gene they are 'stay white' cornish. They will not pull brass in direct sunlight. Cornish pull brass because they posses the gold gene. If thats the case they will pull brass in shade, in complete darkness and during the months of artic darkness. The silver gene is very desirable.

View attachment 1968016
If you look very closely at his back and right wing youll see traces of the black ticking.

Chick down may or may not be an indicator of feather color characteristics. I am studying this but have only ome year of data. They come out as silver white, yellow, wild and mixtures of any of those.

View attachment 1968021 View attachment 1968022

Hens can hold viable sperm for as long as a month. They can also eject the sperm if after being covered by a rooster they comsider him inferior. Usually a week is normal.

Send me a pm with the breeder name. We all pretty much know each other.

Thank you for the insight. I will try to message you later, I have been a little busy with turkeys lately.

Any advice to where I can get some standard white Cornish. Hatching eggs, chicks, or adults.
Been interested for a while and now ready to too start a sustainable flock for meat.
Thanks
Have you had shipped eggs before? The post office can do a number on them.
I won 2 sets, rlw and white...10 eggs each a week apart, off eBay auction from Louisiana. Post office shook them and one hatched. It was an extra marked p, which I assume is for project. It wasn't a white.

I won 2 sets, rlw and white...10 eggs each a week apart, off eBay auction from Louisiana. Post office shook them and one hatched. It was an extra marked p, which I assume is for project. It wasn't a white.
No but from reading this thread I realize hatching eggs are pretty risky.
I'm in Massachusetts am willing to travel within reason
Thanks for the help.

Any advice to where I can get some standard white Cornish. Hatching eggs, chicks, or adults.
Been interested for a while and now ready to too start a sustainable flock for meat.
Thanks

Wrong time of the year. At least for those that are serious about breeding to the standard. We've had ours under extended light since before Thanksgiving hoping to get fertile eggs set and hatched before mid January. You can get darks and wlr from Ideal hatchery and probably others but not whites. Also these cornish have been selected for their egg laying ability not meat on carcass such as these whites.

20191212_091558.jpg

Hit me up in in the April/ May timeframe. I need a victim to participate in my experiment. I want to ship embryos versus fertile eggs. If your willing to gamble $20 in shipping ill send you a box of lfw eggs.

To all others that read this reply the offer is only open to Molpet. I dont want a deluge of PMs.

Out of a boxes of approx 30 eggs I've shipped I've had as little as 6 hatch and as many as 22. From my observations it all.depends if the buyer is willing to accept my experience of hatching cornish eggs.

No but from reading this thread I realize hatching eggs are pretty risky.
I'm in Massachusetts am willing to travel within reason
Thanks for the help.

Are you willing to travel to PA.

Hit me up in in the April/ May timeframe. I need a victim to participate in my experiment. I want to ship embryos versus fertile eggs. If your willing to gamble $20 in shipping ill send you a box of lfw eggs.

To all others that read this reply the offer is only open to Molpet. I dont want a deluge of PMs.
Thank you I am a willing victim.. I'll PM you in April/May

Wrong time of the year. At least for those that are serious about breeding to the standard. We've had ours under extended light since before Thanksgiving hoping to get fertile eggs set and hatched before mid January. You can get darks and wlr from Ideal hatchery and probably others but not whites. Also these cornish have been selected for their egg laying ability not meat on carcass such as these whites.

View attachment 1981893

Are you just supplementing lights for the roos or the whole flock?

Whites would be my first choice, but dark or wlr would work. I would rather get my genetics from a breeder that's closer to the standard. It would get me headed in the right direction, for sure.

Ive never heard of hatching embryos before, so I just had to watch a couple videos on the who proceedure and all can say is whooooow!
I don't know about shipping embryos though.
Why wouldn't just ship the eggs and have your tester just take it out of the shell at their place?
Thanks for the insight.

Out of a boxes of approx 30 eggs I've shipped I've had as little as 6 hatch and as many as 22. From my observations it all.depends if the buyer is willing to accept my experience of hatching cornish eggs.

Are you willing to travel to PA.

I've had pretty good luck with hatching shipped eggs, but never tried hatching Cornish eggs as I heard they don't ship well.
I think PA could work, in a couple of months.
What was you thinking eggs or birds?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom