white discharge from eye

If it's a foul odor you are smelling about the head/nostril area, it's most likely coryza. Here's a link, scroll down to "infectious Coryza."
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Coryza is contageous and birds remain carriers for life. I dont recommend returning the bird where you got it from. It would be best to cull and disinfect everything it came in contact with. If you decide to keep the bird, treatment is sulmet. Keep in mind that you would risk exposing your flock to the disease and strict biosecurity procedures would have to be maintained. You would have to keep a closed flock; none in, none out, no selling or giving away eggs to be hatched.

Last edited:
Just a update
No runny nose this morning or nothing from eye, we are going to bath her today to see if it clears the smell and it doesnt come back (face smells same as body), cant cull her that would be like adopting a child and when it gets ill you kill it, im a big softie at heart, thanks for all your help so far will keep you updated keith

Okay yesterday we purchased some Indian Games and half way home we decided to stop and give them water and a little stretch and we notices 3 of them with bubbly clear to white discharge on the eyes. So after reading BYC as soon as I got home (you guys are awesome
smile.png
by the way) its looking more likely a respiratory infection. My questions are how do i know if it is more serious like Coryza, should i be taking them to the vet? Is this a common problem in IG? They arent very clean, should i bathe them all? And should I keep all 10 of them in Quaratine for a period. I would hate to see my girls get sick by introducing them to our flock of Leghorns and Wyanndottes. I have given them H202 in water 3% food grade and I have put anitbiotic in the eye? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom