1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Dorkings?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NHDoc, Feb 22, 2009.

1. NHDoc

NHDoc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'm new to this chicken thing, and I'm planning on getting started this spring. There is a local farm near me that has heritage poultry, and they will have white dorking day-old hatchlings for sale ($60/dozen).

Can anyone tell me anything about white dorkings? Are they good layers? Good temperment? Any information would be appreciated.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I loved my Dorkings and they had the nicest temperaments of any chickens I've ever had. I didn't have the white ones though. Mine were good layers. They are one of my favorite breeds.

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I don't have white either, but all of my Dorkings are sweethearts. I've heard that they are great moms, and tend to go broody more than the more common breeds, but so far so good. [​IMG]
    The whites are gorgeous... are they rose combed or single combed? Do they sell hatching eggs? [​IMG]

5. NHDoc

NHDoc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'm not sure if they sell hatching eggs. Here is their website for you to check out: www.yellowhousefarmnh.com

Thanks for the information. I love the idea of getting involved in saving a rare breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by