White ears??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cloeesgirl, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Cloeesgirl

Cloeesgirl New Egg

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi all! One of my black sexlinks is getting white ears.. they used to be red like her comb and waddle. None of my other hens are getting this, including my two other black sexlinks. She's about seven months old and has been laying for about 6 weeks. Should I be worried?

Sorry for the horrible picture! I couldn't get her to stand still. :rolleyes:[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. A white earlobe in brown-lobed chickens is quite normal, it's just a genetic issue. It won't affect her health or egg production!

- BantamLover55

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Get some monostat 7 and rub it on her earlobes, apply as needed.

4. Cloeesgirl

Cloeesgirl New Egg

Sep 16, 2014
    Is it something yeasty then? That actually makes total sense. I've seen yeasty spots on dogs that look similar. Thanks for the idea!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be favus, a fungus. It is fairly common on earlobes, combs, or wattles. The monistat is miconazole which is an antifungal cream.

6. canadian2828

canadian2828 New Egg

Jul 10, 2014
    Ontario
    Looks like my chicken but not so white. My other hens think it's ice cream and try to peck at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by