White egg layers

countrygirljess

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 19, 2012
I'm looking into getting into chickens and having farm fresh eggs. I'm finding tons of breeds that are queit and calm/friendly, but all the white egg layers I've looked at seem to be loud. Can anyone suggest a breed that isn't too loud as I live close to teh city limits?? Thanks in advance!!

I'm looking into getting into chickens and having farm fresh eggs. I'm finding tons of breeds that are quiet and calm/friendly, but all the white egg layers I've looked at seem to be loud. Can anyone suggest a breed that isn't too loud as I live close to the city limits?? Thanks in advance!!
I have white leghorns that are not real loud and lay a big white egg 5 or 6 times a week. I have a brown leghorn that lays a medium egg 5-6 a week but she is skidish but not loud. I think the best white layers I have are Austra whites, good layers and probably the friendliest of the bunch. but they like to talk to me

I've only found them on efowl.com and cackle.com. after reading some other threads on here I'm not sure I want to order from either of these places. I found some on purely poultry.com has anyone used them before??

You're right, Draye. After looking at cackle online, I'm feeling much better about them!! Thanks for the input!!

Just my two pennies.

My AustraWhites lay a very slightly off white egg when compared with my Golden Campines' eggs which are stark white. I only have two hens of each breed though so maybe that's not a large enough sample to be emphatic about egg color.

My two AustraWhites are probably my loudest hens when it comes time to lay or announce their lay. Crazy loud. My two Campines are very quiet, small, prolific layers their first year, even through a chilly winter with no extra heat or light.

Egg size is breed related, but can also be determined by husbandry, so I toss this info in as just one person's viewpoint. The Campine eggs are proportionally large ... chicken size vs. egg size. The Campine is small, but lays a larger egg than you would think. However, it's still medium. The AustraWhite egg is very, very, close to large, but is usually a medium. AustraWhite eggs are a bit larger than a Campine egg, but, again, egg size is breed related and also related to husbandry techniques and conditions throughout the life of the hen including what time of the year the hen is hatched.

Have had very good luck with Cackle Hatchery. However, I got these Campine and AustraWhite chicks from some non-memorable hatchery out west that ships to feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom