White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

Pics
Well Mary got her WFBS 2 cockerells and 2 pullets weekend before last.
They were not in the best of shape when we got them but they have improved 135% and are settling in nicely,
They were in with a larger roo and the cockerells were picked bare in some spots but now you can not see any bare skin and they are feathering out fast. They now have that fantastic metalic green sheen and are spunky feisty birds that are entertaining to watch!
I can see why they are described as roosting birds these 4 will not use their coop but would rather be up high in one of the roosting branches we have for them rain or shine!
When we get heavy rain they will go in for shelter but as soon as it is over up they go! They are up in their favorite roosts just before dark until about 6AM and come down just as the sun rises waiting for treats LOL.
We belive them to be 3 months old "that is what the breeder claimed" and once Mary hatches some out we will be looking for more genetics to mix with the ones we keep from the 1st hatch.
We read that inbreeding has been a problem with these facinating birds so we plan to strive to get varying genetics and to produce a good hardy line in the long run.
We plan to breed for hardienes and health 1st and standards 2nd but we home to start with good genes from good breeders!
Congratulations! My grandparents lived in Brooksville a long time ago. I would possibly be interested in some once you get your line going. I have always been fascinated by the WFBS. I happened to get some Breda recently and really like them so am putting off the WFBS for a while. THe breda are about as interesting to me and they too have a bit of white on them but they have the forked comb like the La fleche.

Last edited:
Congratulations! My grandparents lived in Brooksville a long time ago. I would possibly be interested in some once you get your line going. I have always been fascinated by the WFBS. I happened to get some Breda recently and really like them so am putting off the WFBS for a while. THe breda are about as interesting to me and they too have a bit of white on them but they have the forked comb like the La fleche.

Those sound interesting,
We do not plan on selling any Spanish for at least a year but we may have some extra's once we get our founding flock together,
If all goes as planned we hope "once ours start producing" to get some of a similar age and get a couple of breeding groups with varying genes to be our actual stock for breeding once we know we have strong healthy birds.

This will be my 1st breeding of poultry but I hope to bring past exotic animal experience to poultry,
Any breeding advice or advice on what to look for once we get going would be great!
Are those Bantams or LF ?

I am no professional with these but in comparison to ours those look to be Bantom, Don't take my word for it though, as I dont have a ton of experience with poultry as of yet.
Maybe some one elce will chime in though.

I have birds from a line that is really old. I think the breeder mine came from was Chris Ortiz of California. They are excellent layers and true non setters. I don't have any pictures to post but I will try and get some on here. I need to work on the birds size as they have begun to breed somewhat smaller now that the gene pool is becoming much smaller. I have Minorcas that I may breed into them in the next few years and see where I end up. I also thought of adding Andalusians and making blue Spanish. I have seen pictures of them from the UK. Anyway I found this thread and decided I would post.

I have birds from a line that is really old. I think the breeder mine came from was Chris Ortiz of California. They are excellent layers and true non setters. I don't have any pictures to post but I will try and get some on here. I need to work on the birds size as they have begun to breed somewhat smaller now that the gene pool is becoming much smaller. I have Minorcas that I may breed into them in the next few years and see where I end up. I also thought of adding Andalusians and making blue Spanish. I have seen pictures of them from the UK. Anyway I found this thread and decided I would post.

What line did your Minorcas originate from? The one in your avatar is a very pretty bird

Set 46 LF WF Black Spanish eggs last Thursday and candled today and 35 are fertile and growing. I have always wanted to work with this breed and it is my goal to have Spanish that will represent the breed and the Mediterranean class well.

Bo

Still looking, and FYI:

Terry Lund/Lund Poultry no longer has LF WFBS, only bantams. :eek:(
Sandhill Preservation has some from Ron Nelson(I think). I have no experience with the quality of their WFBS but was told that aside from a smaller size they are quite nice. Not bantam size, just a smaller LF than what one would ideally want. Like I said, thats just word of mouth. I have not seen any of their birds in person myself. Though I do plan on making a purchase of WFBS through Sandhill next year if I can get an order in early enough.

Set 46 LF WF Black Spanish eggs last Thursday and candled today and 35 are fertile and growing. I have always wanted to work with this breed and it is my goal to have Spanish that will represent the breed and the Mediterranean class well.

Bo
Good luck with your hatch Bo! Keep us updated. I'll anxiously await some pics of the new babies in good time.

Back
Top Bottom