white flakes on face

MLG1900

Songster
Dec 27, 2017
Hello, I just noticed these white flakes on my birds face, above the beak and around eyes. Does anyone know what is going on here? And should I do something to treat this? I do not notice this on my other pigeons.
brownband3.jpg

Hello, I just noticed these white flakes on my birds face, above the beak and around eyes. Does anyone know what is going on here? And should I do something to treat this? I do not notice this on my other pigeons.
View attachment 2014155
Where do you live? Is it someplace warm with mosquitos? That almost looks like it could be pigeon pox... hard to tell though.

Where do you live? Is it someplace warm with mosquitos? That almost looks like it could be pigeon pox... hard to tell though.

I live in southern NJ. Yes we do get mosquitos here. I will look up pigeon pox. I have been trying to search for info on crusty faces, eyes, nose, beaks. Flakes, skin and feather issues. I just don't see anything coming up. I would love to know if I can wash it or clean it, or treat it.

I don't know anything about Pigeons or what that might get. Maybe @sourland might have an idea?

Now....I will take some guess though (never stopped me before LOL)For me, if I saw that on a chicken, I would inspect it more closely - does it seem like a honeycomb type of flake - maybe eggs? My first reaction when seeing that was Scaly Face Mites, but I've been wrong many times before. Possibly a fungal infection but I just don't know.

I don't know anything about Pigeons or what that might get. Maybe @sourland might have an idea?

Now....I will take some guess though (never stopped me before LOL)For me, if I saw that on a chicken, I would inspect it more closely - does it seem like a honeycomb type of flake - maybe eggs? My first reaction when seeing that was Scaly Face Mites, but I've been wrong many times before. Possibly a fungal infection but I just don't know.

Thank you! What would you use to treat this? I feel the urge to catch this pigeon and wash its face. LOL I don't know if I should cover in Vaseline or give a few drops of ivermectin? I just looked up the pigeon pox and that appears to be a more fleshy issue, whereas this seems flakey and scaley. I am going to purchase a new catch net, so I can inspect her more closely! I have read alot about adding borax to water for them to bathe in. I am going to try this when it is warmer but right now it is too cold for baths, I think!

Thank you! What would you use to treat this? I feel the urge to catch this pigeon and wash its face. LOL I don't know if I should cover in Vaseline or give a few drops of ivermectin? I just looked up the pigeon pox and that appears to be a more fleshy issue, whereas this seems flakey and scaley. I am going to purchase a new catch net, so I can inspect her more closely! I have read alot about adding borax to water for them to bathe in. I am going to try this when it is warmer but right now it is too cold for baths, I think!
Well, to be honest, I would wait to see if someone else chimes in - they may know exactly what that is.
If it's mites, then Ivermectin would kill them, but I don't think it would hurt to put a dab of vaseline or coconut oil on the crusty areas to help them heal (and further smother mites).

Now if it's Fungal (like Favus or some other infection) then an anti-fungal would be needed.

Make sense?

I would catch and isolate it. Is the area a bald spot (no feathers) or is the white flakes/crust covering up the feathers in that spot?

No the area is not bald. It appears to be something on the feathers. I haven't had the chance to catch him yet. Even the nostril cere's look like it is extra crusty or flakey.

I don't fly my pigeons regularly. I originally got them to train my bird dogs but I lost 2 to hawks several years ago. I have been hoping to raise some clutches before I fly them again, in case I lose more. But I guess I keep getting males.

Back
Top Bottom