white from blue...what???

silkie_sue

Songster
9 Years
Sep 14, 2010
Keokuk, Iowa
Hi
I got some BBS silkie eggs and hatched them almost 2 months ago. I got mostly Blues, two Splashes and a.....white chick?

How'd that happen? And would this white chick then be considered Blue,a Splash would it carry that same gene? Or is it now just white?

It's a very nice looking chick, high vaulted but does have a very bright pink comb.

Thanks for any input.

i don't think you would get white from a blue from what i
know about genetics ( which is not a whole bunch)
the only reason i replied really was to say HI to the girl with the same name as me!!!
hugs.gif

Are you sure it isn't just a very "washed out" Splash chick, with very little blue markings? Pictures might help.

Could there have been an accidental White Silkie egg included with your order?

Are you sure it is white and not just really light/clean splash.

But really it could easily be a white if say the parents are both carrying one copy of recessive White, if so then out of the particular pairing of the ones carrying the one white gene, about a quarter of their chicks should be solid Recessive White.

And recessive white is masking another color under it so it is likely masking Blue Black or Splash under it but there wont be a way to know unless you breed and see.

But say for instance you breed a White that was masking black to a blue, This would produce half blues and half black F1s. So now say you bred those Blue F1s together, you would still get genetically 50% Blues, 25% Blacks, and 25 % splash ( though a large hatch would be needed for that to be real accurate) But they would be genetically those colors, but 25% of the total, regardless of what BBS phase they are underneath, would be Solid Recessive Whites. And Recessive White can mask any color, not just BBS. And since all White Silkies are masking a color underneath the white, yours would be no different so you would still call it a White Silkie, but knowing that it is most likely masking B B or S since your hatched Blue and Splash chicks with it, that would give you a better chance of knowing what you would get if you were to breed it than you would have if you were just breeding with any random white silkie becuase as I said they can be masking any color and you never know what unless you know their genetic history or breed them to see through trial and error.

Quote:
Incorrect

Recessive White( assuming no dilution genes are masked under it) crossed with Black = all Black carrying one copy of recessive white.

Dominant White crossed with black = Mostly White with some black dots showing since there is only one copy of dom. white.

Last edited:
Quote:
white+black= blue

splash+slash= splash

black+splash= blue

Blue+blue= 25% black 25% slash, 50% blue
big_smile.png

White X Black does not result in Blue offspring.

Quote:
white+black= blue

splash+slash= splash

black+splash= blue

Blue+blue= 25% black 25% slash, 50% blue
big_smile.png

does this mean you can breed white roo or hen to a black and get blue? Genetics confuse me!!! Or only if they are carrying a certain gene?

Back
Top Bottom