White "gel" stuck on to my chicken's butt? Please help! Emergency!

Pics
Nope, she's very clean except for the poops stuck on her bottoms. I'm not sure about giving her a warm bath because she's acting pretty weak.
Which would you recommend? They all look similar but so different at the same time to me.
Amtyl and Baytril are both broad-spectrum so would hopefully help with any infection she has, but looking at the dosage notes it seems you would have to syringe a lot of Amtyl down your girl's throat to get the right dose versus a very little amount for the Baytril, so based on just being able to get her take the medicine I would go with Baytril.

Nope, she's very clean except for the poops stuck on her bottoms. I'm not sure about giving her a warm bath because she's acting pretty weak.
Which would you recommend? They all look similar but so different at the same time to me.
I would go with Baytril, it's a strong broad spectrum antibiotic. If it doesn't help with infection, very likely nothing will.

I would not soak her if she's weak. Soaking a sick, weak or lethargic bird can push them over the edge.
If she's got poop stuck to her feathers, then clean her with paper towels or a damp cloth. See that she's staying relatively warm.

So turns out my dad actually had some
Cephalexin Tablets tablets that I could use, so he told me to try that before buying anything else. I looked up and it said that it mainly treated infections like bumblefoot and deep skin infections, so I'm not sure if this could work.
Anyways, she seems to not be wobbling as much since I fed her yesterday, but still sort of lethargic.

Last edited:
I googled the instructions for Cephalexin Tablets for chickens and it said 10 mg/kg of body weight. I haven't been able to weigh her in sometime because our scale broke, but I would say she's about six pounds. The cephalexin tablets I have is 0.25 (250 mg), and I don't know how I would split that. My original thought was just give the whole tablet, but I guess not. Can too much of this kill a chicken or would it be safe for me to just feed her the whole thing?

If you have a pill splitter, split it into 4 sections, like cutting a pie. If you don't have a pill splitter, use a knife, and score (cut a line) into a cross shape on the top of the pill. Once it's scored a little, then use the knife to cut the pill into the 4 sections. Press straight down, and hard. Smash 1/4 of the pill between two tablespoons, by putting the pill into one spoon, then pressing down into it, with the second spoon. When it's crushed into a powder, you can administer it in one of two ways. Either add a little water, and mix, then use a dosage syringe to give it by mouth, or put the powder on a small bit of some type of food, and feed it to her.

I don't know the exact dosage, but that's what I'd start with. I wouldn't give any more until tomorrow. Let me see if I can find out the exact dosage.

Ok, I've checked other threads. It's ok to give the whole 250 mg tablet per day. Again, crush it up and either mix with water, and give in a dosage syringe, or put as much as possible in/on a small bit of food, and let her eat it.

If you need to know how to dose with a dosage syringe: Facing the chicken, put the tip of the dosage syringe on the left side, towards the back, and put the liquid in slowly. If the mouth gets full, allow the chicken to swallow, and continue until it's taken the full dose. DO NOT get liquid in the hole in the center. That is their airway, NOT their throat.
5533562.jpg

Most pharmacies, and (especially) Wal Mart will usually give you a small dosage syringe if you ask for it. Most feed stores have them for a very small price too. Rinse it out with clear warm water after each use.

Back
Top Bottom