white goose in my neighborhood all alone...

I am thinking about trying to help this goose...
hide.gif
I have never chased down a "wild" goose. I have had to catch unsocialized dogs (greyhounds) before.. We used other dogs to lure them in and follow the "pack". Would this work with a goose, or is it better to have it isolated? I have 5 runner ducks that herd beautifully, could they work as "flock mentality" to chase it into a chute cage?

First you have to get it out of the pond.
If your close enough you may be able to make friends by just going and hanging out and bringing feed. Evaluate the area and if possibly you could herd it into a large crate or use fence panels with others to help you herd. Best thing would be to go where it is and check out the area. I sure hope you can help it we all have been concerned about it. Keep us updated please.

I posted pics of her on my original post, the retention pond is only marshy now, not full of water like a pond.

There are roads on two sides of it, she hangs nearer one road than the other.

My daughter took video of her, but I can't manage to get it on here.

Seems she made friends with a cardboard box
hit.gif

I posted pics of her on my original post, the retention pond is only marshy now, not full of water like a pond.

There are roads on two sides of it, she hangs nearer one road than the other.

My daughter took video of her, but I can't manage to get it on here.

Seems she made friends with a cardboard box
hit.gif
Did you see galgo98's post? please someone go and rescue this goose, with the pond being more marshy it really is in danger of predation now.

I am thinking about trying to help this goose...
hide.gif
I have never chased down a "wild" goose. I have had to catch unsocialized dogs (greyhounds) before.. We used other dogs to lure them in and follow the "pack". Would this work with a goose, or is it better to have it isolated? I have 5 runner ducks that herd beautifully, could they work as "flock mentality" to chase it into a chute cage?

This doesn't sound like a wild goose, but a domesticated one that has been dumped. i know geese have the herd mentality like ducks. So you may have a sound theory there. The OP stated something about two roads, one on either side? That's a little worrisome and wondering how close the roads are. Would not want to chase anyone onto a highway. She may very well come to someone with food. Maybe a van, with the back open, and a trail of food leading into it? Sounds like someone has to first go out to determine how tame she is. i hope you can coordinate with the OP to get that goose to safety!

galgo98 was thinking of coming this afternoon to try to get her, I do not know if she did. I had to work today, did not go over to the gooses location to see if she is still there, but I assume she is.

When we went over last evening we took bread & couldn't even begin to get close to her. She was honking & going in the other direction, I didn't want to chase her out on the road...

idunno.gif

galgo98 was thinking of coming this afternoon to try to get her, I do not know if she did. I had to work today, did not go over to the gooses location to see if she is still there, but I assume she is.

When we went over last evening we took bread & couldn't even begin to get close to her. She was honking & going in the other direction, I didn't want to chase her out on the road...

idunno.gif

This may take some time, if she is not trusting of humans, but it can be done just have to go about it slowly. I hope galgo can get her/him.
fl.gif

We caught her!!
She is on her way to a safe, but temporary home :)
She is a real beauty

galgo98 (aka Becky) came & sweet talked her right into a cage :)

What a relief!!!
Sorry about the crappy pics, but it was getting dark & we only had phones to take pics..

We caught her!!
She is on her way to a safe, but temporary home :)
She is a real beauty

galgo98 (aka Becky) came & sweet talked her right into a cage :)

What a relief!!!
Sorry about the crappy pics, but it was getting dark & we only had phones to take pics..

wee.gif
I had just PMed galgo about her, that is the best news all week.

Back
Top Bottom