White Jersey Giants

I've ordered a half box of JG whites from Ideal Hatchery in Texas but they wont be shipping until April. I'll come back and post what sort of quality giants they have over time.

I know the thumbs down all the chicken people give the hatcheries but I still buy some from hatcheries and then work toward the perfection of the genes that matter to me (personality, bird size/hardiness and consistent early egg production). I don't sell birds so the SOP doesn't matter to me.
So at five months the Ideal hatchery birds are quite impressive - the first thing I noticed is their feathers are extremely amazingly Super-Soft more-so than any other breed I have owned.
don;t mind the brooder thing it's a mess but the 2-month old New Hampshires seem to like it - I'm letting them jump in and out at this point for exercise - the others are same age Buff orps you can see they are a good deal smaller already

To this end one of my pet projects is to restore the White Jersey Giant both to American Poultry Standards of Perfection as well as secure enough genetic material to keep the bloodlines secure.
I know this is a old thread and you haven't posted in over a year, hope you respond. How have you made out? I'm looking for heritage breed White Jersey Giants, and do not want to waste time on any other than the largest of the breed possible. Do you have any available yet?

Murrey Mcmurrey has the whites, but if I'm going to go with them I want the biggest, dont want to waste my time. I might get some from Sand Hill.

I have not been able to get white jerseys. I did get some blacks just last week.
If you cannot find Jersey's you could always settle for a few White Rocks (bit easier to find) they are just a pound or two lighter and the big difference is the yellow legs versus the green slate colored legs. If you are keen on chicken meat the Jersey's tend to be slightly tough (I describe their leg thigh meat as steak-like, which I like, but many people do not and prefer the more stringy meat)

Hello everyone, does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of white Jersey Giant full grown in Puerto Rico

There is Puerto Rico threads on BYC, you might want to ask there. If you don't find any most US hatcherys ship to Puerto Rico, probably only chicks though, and there is only a few that sell white giants. Some hatcherys sell started birds but only in their more popular breeds.

There is Puerto Rico threads on BYC, you might want to ask there. If you don't find any most US hatcherys ship to Puerto Rico, probably only chicks though, and there is only a few that sell white giants. Some hatcherys sell started birds but only in their more popular breeds.
thanks for the imformacion

Good morning! my dad ordered chicks from a hatchery this spring. they arrived yesterday and I was looking to see if they were indeed whites! I was surprised by the greyish coloring.

Anyway... I have a bunch of cornishX and a hen that i am considering trying to keep to POL, has anyone ever tried to cross the WJG with a CX? i dont know that it would be beneficial to the JG or not. I would like a chicken that gets big.. but maybe not quite as quickly as the CX.

Back
Top Bottom