White & lavender ameraucana Rooster = ? Color chicks

Happychickens33

Chirping
Jun 26, 2020
I am fairly new to the genetics of chickens. I am wracking my brain trying to remember Mendolson’s peas from high school biology! My white Ameraucona hen has gone broody twice this year. ( I know they are not known to go broody). Sweet Cheeks has done a magnificent job. She is a big girl and hatched 10 chicks. These are a barnyard mix of eggs, but I do have a sweet Lavender Roo ( from the Paul Smith line, who likes to cuddle) in the mix. I am wondering what color will emerge from lavender and white since lav dilutes colors? I have one white ameraucona with blue legs and I have four “blue/gray chicks with blue legs- will they be self blue? See photo- a day old!

I'm not seeing a photo?
Lavender is recessive so to be lavender/self blue the chicks would need to receive the gene from both parents.
Do you know if your white carries the lavender gene?

3853DC93-194E-4E8D-8D96-2EC744C0CFB6.jpeg
7A012DA8-AB98-47C7-9B27-B934E456FE44.jpeg

I'm not seeing a photo?
Lavender is recessive so to be lavender/self blue the chicks would need to receive the gene from both parents.
Do you know if your white carries the lavender gene?
Hopefully you can see the photo now-
I don’t know if the white carries the lavender gene. I thought lavender & lavender produce lavender chicks. That’s why I don’t know where these blue chicks are coming from-and they have the dark blue legs. She must carry the gene 🤷‍♀️
Thank you for responding!

There are a variety of eggs. Not all the eggs were hers. Other hens added to it. She started a clutch in the corner of the coop and she had been sitting for awhile before I discovered it. I have Leghorn moms, lol, 😉 French copper Marans moms, Flower hen and Easter Egger moms and a Silver Spangled Hamburg Roo !

Some of those white chicks with speckles look paint. Your hen is dominant white clearly. They were probably from her with the lavender. ETA white Leghorns could also be the mother.

Some of those white chicks with speckles look paint. Your hen is dominant white clearly. They were probably from her with the lavender. ETA white Leghorns could also be the mother.
Or that hen is recessive white and all the white chicks belong to leghorn mom's?

Back
Top Bottom