White Layer turns Brown?

hooligan

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Arkansas
Ok so when Bridgette first started laying her eggs were white (Cornish X). We have had her in the house for about 2 wks (bc she would not survive in the heat) and no eggs at all...but today I came home and found a large brown egg in her playpen. She is by herself so no egg switcheroos could have occured but wouldn't this be impossible?

Here's her first egg, second from the left, white.

313433201.jpg

And her new egg is just as brown as the one on the right!

And here is Bridgette in all her glory, 'dust bathing' in the living room.

e1ea.jpg

Sorry--I looked at this post earlier, and am baffled. Are you sure there is no one in the house who is trying to pull a prank on you?

All I can say is BIZARRE.

I was told when chickens first start laying their eggs it take a little while for their 'egg laying parts' to work it self out. Such as when they first lay they may be a little soft and as time passed it goes away. Like on my EE's the first few I got were a very very pale green. Almost a white color, but no they are laying more green eggs. As well with the brown egg layers I have. At first very pale brown, almost a white, now a darker beige brown. Im not sure if this is whats up with your chicken, but its my best guess.
idunno.gif

Nope, no prank. LoL
But she is SUPPOSED to lay white eggs and has been for months...now a brown one?
I wonder what the next one is going to look like!
tongue.png

I believe that the two parent strains of the Cornish Cross are brown egg layers.

What color are your birds' ear lobes. Red ear lobes--brown eggs, white ear lobes--white eggs. Brown eggs can be very pale, almost white.

I don't have any Cornish X right now but I'm pretty sure they had red earlobes. The Cornish is a brown egg layer although they are pale.

A few of the ppl I know that have Cornish X hens say their eggs are white as well and as you can see in the pic, they have been white...but its true her lobes are red.
Its just kind of odd LoL

that indeed is very odd, hmm.. all i can say is that my buff orpingtons when they started to lay were completely white! and i was mad but then they started getting cream color, now all are a nice brownish tint like your egg you got there! i always thought cornish x if you let them get to the point of lay, that it would be a white egg also.... my uncle butured all but two cornish x's of his and has 2 hens left and they are 8 months old and have not laid an egg at all! that'd be neat if they start laying brown eggs!

So everyday since the 7th Bridgette has laid a brown egg after Lucas has gone to work but before I get home LoL
I guess she's getting comfy in the house but the shell color switch was so weird LoL

Back
Top Bottom