White leghorn chick growing in grey wingfeathers?

shaw613

Songster
Oct 27, 2019
Northeast Colorado
I hatched a chick from my one white leghorn hen. The chick is now two weeks old, and continually gets more grey in its coloring. The wing feathers are more of a silver grey than anything else. My roosters are white ameraucana (white chicks on leghorn), cream legbar (white chicks as well on leghorns) and silver penciled rock. Would the leghorn produce grey with a penciled rock? I'm confused; expected all her offspring to be white. It's quite a pretty bird right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_105515611.jpg
    IMG_20210416_105515611.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I hatched a chick from my one white leghorn hen. The chick is now two weeks old, and continually gets more grey in its coloring. The wing feathers are more of a silver grey than anything else. My roosters are white ameraucana (white chicks), cream legbar (white chicks as well) and silver penciled rock. Would the leghorn produce grey with a penciled rock? I'm confused; expected all her offspring to be white. It's quite a pretty bird right now.
Very pretty

I hatched a chick from my one white leghorn hen. The chick is now two weeks old, and continually gets more grey in its coloring. The wing feathers are more of a silver grey than anything else. My roosters are white ameraucana (white chicks), cream legbar (white chicks as well) and silver penciled rock. Would the leghorn produce grey with a penciled rock? I'm confused; expected all her offspring to be white. It's quite a pretty bird right now.
I suspect your silver pencilled is the father, only thing that makes sense genetically as cream leg bars are gold based with modifiers and your white ameraucana would give you white chicks.
Leghorns are dominant white, so the chick will likely be mostly white in the end with the silver feathers here and there. Interesting to see how this bird feathers out. Keep us posted!😊

I suspect your silver pencilled is the father, only thing that makes sense genetically as cream leg bars are gold based with modifiers and your white ameraucana would give you white chicks.
Leghorns are dominant white, so the chick will likely be mostly white in the end with the silver feathers here and there. Interesting to see how this bird feathers out. Keep us posted!😊
it's the only thing that makes sense to me ... I put my leghorn back with that rooster this morning .... I think I'd like some more :)

it's the only thing that makes sense to me ... I put my leghorn back with that rooster this morning .... I think I'd like some more :)
Just so you know, you may also end up with black chicks and white chicks with black feathers here and there as well! Hope you get more like this one though, it really is beautiful. 😊

Back
Top Bottom