White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

Fred (White Leghorn) & Goldie (Rumpless Easter Egger) in the nesting box at the same time.

The treasure they were guarding.

i am patiently waiting for my 3 white leghorns to begin to lay eggs. They are about 14 weeks old. The combs haven't started getting red yet but think they will soon. But, what I am going to do with 5 WL roosters!

I recently had a knock on my door. There was a man standing there with a single white leghorn. He had seen our chickens (and our neighbors) out in the our yard. She was the sole survivor (twice) after a coon raid on their coop a mile away. He decided he no longer wanted to deal with chickens anymore and asked if we could take her. He didn't realize he picked the right house;) Long story short, she is the newest member of our flock and only leghorn. I noticed she has such pale legs, they look white. Is this normal coloration or a sign of illness???? I am not sure how old she is. She looked pretty ragged when he brought her over. I have 3 RIR, 1 EE, 1 BR, 1 laced WY, and 1 BSL, so I'm not used to white chicken colors. Her comb and wattle color looks great! She is doing great! She's one brave, tough girl:) All my others are larger than her, esp the roo!

I bought some Brown Leghorn hens to add white eggs to the mix. Now, they are my favorite breed so I bought 5 White Leghorn pullets from TSC's chick days sale. (Has anyone else bought pullets from TSC expecting to gain hens only for them to be cockerels?) Of the five pullets, only one turned out to be a hen. I am glad for one to be a rooster because they are gorgeous and I prefer to have matching hen rooster sets. Of the four roosters, I kept to prettiest one and sold the rest. Don't have pictures yet.

I recently had a knock on my door. There was a man standing there with a single white leghorn. He had seen our chickens (and our neighbors) out in the our yard. She was the sole survivor (twice) after a coon raid on their coop a mile away. He decided he no longer wanted to deal with chickens anymore and asked if we could take her. He didn't realize he picked the right house;) Long story short, she is the newest member of our flock and only leghorn. I noticed she has such pale legs, they look white. Is this normal coloration or a sign of illness???? I am not sure how old she is. She looked pretty ragged when he brought her over. I have 3 RIR, 1 EE, 1 BR, 1 laced WY, and 1 BSL, so I'm not used to white chicken colors. Her comb and wattle color looks great! She is doing great! She's one brave, tough girl:) All my others are larger than her, esp the roo!

She's pretty! Cool story....
clap.gif

I don't know if the pale legs is a sign of illness or not, but based on the picture they look fine. We have a White Leghorn roo, and his legs are very pale. Here is a pic:

I bought some Brown Leghorn hens to add white eggs to the mix. Now, they are my favorite breed so I bought 5 White Leghorn pullets from TSC's chick days sale. (Has anyone else bought pullets from TSC expecting to gain hens only for them to be cockerels?) Of the five pullets, only one turned out to be a hen. I am glad for one to be a rooster because they are gorgeous and I prefer to have matching hen rooster sets. Of the four roosters, I kept to prettiest one and sold the rest. Don't have pictures yet.
We bought a bunch of "ready to lay" TSC hens - but it took them several months until they FINALLY started laying. But they've never been very healthy, so I think we're just going to stay away from any more TSC chickens....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom