White Leghorns

Katiemac03

Hatching
Sep 26, 2020
Hello folks - I’m new to this forum and fairly new to raising chickens. I successfully hatched 5 leghorn eggs 10 weeks ago and really need to know the gender of my 5 ‘kids’.
One of the chicks was always a cockerel from day 1 by his behaviour and comb colour & size - but now they’re 10 weeks, the 3 I thought were pullets look like cockerels - one is definitely a pullet ... if I do have 4 cockerels any advice would be appreciated, I realise I can’t leave them all together

Attachments

• 82C3DEED-91B5-49C0-90FF-8DF53D60A186.jpeg
    82C3DEED-91B5-49C0-90FF-8DF53D60A186.jpeg
    985.8 KB · Views: 32
Hello folks - I’m new to this forum and fairly new to raising chickens. I successfully hatched 5 leghorn eggs 10 weeks ago and really need to know the gender of my 5 ‘kids’.
One of the chicks was always a cockerel from day 1 by his behaviour and comb colour & size - but now they’re 10 weeks, the 3 I thought were pullets look like cockerels - one is definitely a pullet ... if I do have 4 cockerels any advice would be appreciated, I realise I can’t leave them all together
Yes, it looks like only one girl. You MUST separate them, as you have noted.

At what age should I separate them if they are 4 boys?
Whenever trouble starts. How old are they? I can give you a good estimate. It'll be soon.
Even if you want to keep ONE with her, you will need more pullets. Even if you don't want to keep a roo, you will need more pullets.

I have 5 leghorns. Their combs are super large, tall and red. 2 Have reeeealllly large wattles they must be 4 inches long down their front. All are GIRLS. I get 5 white eggs a day. No other white egg layers.
Ok so now I’m super confused! Their tail feathers look quite curly - can’t really see Saddle feathers very well ... a couple of them are play fighting each other, do pullets do that or just cockerels?

Back
Top Bottom