White Membrane Hanging from Chickens Vent

Jul 19, 2020
Hello All
I found this hanging from my chickens vent.
1B0FEAEB-0FDA-4423-B49A-4D60A06D8614.jpeg

It was stuck inside of her and i pulled it out with no issues or signs of pain. They are new egg layers (first egg 4th of July) and I’ve found a few soft/shell rubber eggs over the past week. This was their first nights with oyster shells as an option.
Wondering what this can be? She’s acting totally normal as of right now. I sort of feel like its some type of egg membrane.

It was stuck inside of her and i pulled it out with no issues or signs of pain. They are new egg layers (first egg 4th of July) and I’ve found a few soft/shell rubber eggs over the past week. This was their first nights with oyster shells as an option.
Wondering what this can be? She’s acting totally normal as of right now. I sort of feel like its some type of egg membrane.
Welcome To BYC

What do those feel like?
Do you have any photos of her poop?
Any discharge from the vent like yolk or albumen (whites)?

Uggh! I'm torn here. I don't see segments but have to throw out the idea of Tapeworms.
Shell membrane is possible.
Even more questions for me - yes my mind runs away with me at times is what is that on the end(s). Looks like pus dare I say it. What's that like?

1595218625394.png

Welcome To BYC

What do those feel like?
Do you have any photos of her poop?
Any discharge from the vent like yolk or albumen (whites)?

Uggh! I'm torn here. I don't see segments but have to throw out the idea of Tapeworms.
Shell membrane is possible.
Even more questions for me - yes my mind runs away with me at times is what is that on the end(s). Looks like pus dare I say it. What's that like?

View attachment 2253264
Thank you for replying! They felt almost rubbery. Including the end pieces. I
There was no puss or yolk. I sort of investigated it, i would say you could pull/rip it apart with your fingers but it was rubbery. The end piece were like a crumpled version of the whole thing, overall, felt like tough version of the white of a hard boiled egg. I was able to unfold and stretch it out so it wasn’t a tube like a worm.
The vent was clean (no picture of that or her poop at the moment but all was pretty normal).
All my girls are new egg layers (first egg the 4th of July) and over the past 2 weeks I've found 1 or 2 soft shell/rubber shell eggs a day. Usually broken on the coop floor (i think laid while they were asleep on the roost). I definitely feel like its some type of egg membrane but Im wondering if this means she is having additional internal issues and this was my first sign.

I'm thinking it's a reproductive issue being that they are "new" layers and you recently feeding Oyster Shells free feed.
What breed are they? How old are they? What are you feeding?
Do you know which one is laying the "soft shell/rubbery" eggs? Did this come from that chicken?

Thinking it's only one having an issue ... If you could figure which one it is, I'd give her calcium carbonate w/vitamin D ... one tablet crushed up in some scrambled egg or boiled egg yolk, to make sure she's eating it.

@Wyorp Rock ... What say you?

I'm thinking it's a reproductive issue being that they are "new" layers and you recently feeding Oyster Shells free feed.
What breed are they? How old are they? What are you feeding?
Do you know which one is laying the "soft shell/rubbery" eggs? Did this come from that chicken?

Thinking it's only one having an issue ... If you could figure which one it is, I'd give her calcium carbonate w/vitamin D ... one tablet crushed up in some scrambled egg or boiled egg yolk, to make sure she's eating it.

@Wyorp Rock ... What say you?
x2, vitamin D, it helps with calcium absorption.

Thank you for replying! They felt almost rubbery. Including the end pieces. I
There was no puss or yolk. I sort of investigated it, i would say you could pull/rip it apart with your fingers but it was rubbery. The end piece were like a crumpled version of the whole thing, overall, felt like tough version of the white of a hard boiled egg. I was able to unfold and stretch it out so it wasn’t a tube like a worm.
The vent was clean (no picture of that or her poop at the moment but all was pretty normal).
All my girls are new egg layers (first egg the 4th of July) and over the past 2 weeks I've found 1 or 2 soft shell/rubber shell eggs a day. Usually broken on the coop floor (i think laid while they were asleep on the roost). I definitely feel like its some type of egg membrane but Im wondering if this means she is having additional internal issues and this was my first sign.
Good description! LOL
I agree with @ChickNanny13 I would give her some extra calcium for a few days and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom