White Orp, Buff Orpington and Araucana pics (meet some of my boys!)

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
I was out taking pics today of some of my orps and araucana. A lot of them are at various stages of moult, so don't look that great, but thought I'd share some pics of one's that don't look too bad. I hope you enjoy them.

White Orp, Mr. Winter:
101010125.jpg

Snowflake (still fnishing up her moult, but looking much better):
101010017.jpg

Buff Orp, The General:
101010123.jpg

101010116.jpg

101010115.jpg

101010114.jpg

And one of his hens that looks half decent:
101010100.jpg

White Araucana, Thunder and Lightning enjoying the sunshine:
101010144.jpg

A little upset by the picture:
101010145.jpg

And right back at it:
101010151.jpg

A couple of their hens enjoying their day:
101010010.jpg

101010148.jpg

Rumpless araucana, Dragon:
101010139.jpg

101010134.jpg

Sandy and Jett, some of Dragon's girls: (please pardon Jett's moult)
101010133.jpg

Thanks guys!

usschicago - I hope your araucana are doing well too.

Hi
frow.gif

Very nice pictures and very great looking birds!!
droolin.gif

My white Orp Eggs have been in the bator since last Monday and I will be Candling them for the first time tuesday....So excited
fl.gif
fl.gif
!! I got to see the white orps in person, BYC'r Tony hatched from you and they are really nice looking birds for their age and really big with beautiful Plumage
thumbsup.gif

Take Care,
Beth

Hi Beth, I hope you have a terrific hatch on the white orp eggs. A guy from Ebay told me he got 15 chicks out of 16 eggs I sent him for an order of 10+. That's awesome and keeping my fingers crossed that your hatch goes just as well. Winter is a good roo and takes good care of his girls. The pics never do the white orps justice. So glad you got to see some of our stock in person.

Thanks Cyn! Nope, never trim their spurs. That is their only line of defense against a predator and living on the mountain I like to make sure they have something for protection on their free ranging days. My roos are all good boys and would never approach a person with their spurs.

My boys' spurs seem to just stick straight out sometimes and poor Suede seems like they trip him up. I don't want to trim my boys', but they just seem like they get in the way, LOL. I may see if I can just let them grow. The damage to the hens' backs is usually from their toenails, not the spurs, right?

Yes, the treading on the hen's back is from the toenails. You can snip the toenail tips if it becomes a problem, but I prefer to just use saddles on the girls as I see the wear starting. I've never had a hen injured from a roo's spurs.

Quote:
There doing great, lots of hens ! One has a bi-lateral tuft i believe its called and rumpless. We hope its a boy since we have a hen identical to him from one of your previous hatches !
We also got one that is completely white with a tail, (My Favorite one) and it is the only really friendly one, its so funny though it will peck you then run like the wind !
Mark

Back
Top Bottom